Following these friendly comments, it seems that the usual angst that is caused by a manager moving from club to another has in fact united them.
City's shock 2-1 defeat at struggling Newcastle on Tuesday offered Liverpool the chance to open up a seven-point lead but Juergen Klopp's side could only manage a point with a 1-1 draw at home to Leicester.
Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson could not make it to the podium after 62 wins to end with 211 points.
For a while, it looked to be going that way.
City looked on course to close the gap to leaders Liverpool to one point after Sergio Aguero scored just 24 seconds into the match.
The Argentine worldwide smashed a volley past Martin Dubravka to put Guardiola's side in to the lead as Newcastle looked lacklustre and clearly outclassed. We wanted to win a game and we didn't, so we don't feel brilliant.
Benitez's name was loudly sung around the stadium at full-time, with the win being a real coup for a relegation threatened Newcastle side. He was strong when he got the ball, held it up well and brought team-mates into play. I think everyone agrees it could have been a penalty but I don't know why it was not given.
While Liverpool have the upper hand in the race, 14 games remain and as the midweek round of fixtures showed, the unpredictability of the league means there could be many twists and turns to come.
"Sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't - we had won eight games in a row and scored 30 goals without reply". Hopefully, we can improve and we can do better in the upcoming games.
"Every game is one less, but we are in January and we have lots of trophies and a lot of games to play".
"I wouldn't have predicted the Newcastle result, especially if you'd told me they would score after 25 seconds".
There are a lot of tough games to play against sides trying to stay in this division, or playing to get into the Europa League or the Champions League.
Tottenham remain third after Fernando Llorente's late victor against Watford, and they will need the veteran to be at his best again as they seek three points from Newcastle with Harry Kane absent through injury.
- Anthony Martial: Man Utd forward signs new contract until 2024
- Cory Booker Announces He's Running for President
- 'Go back to school': Trump lashes out at USA intelligence chiefs
- Adam Scott in Torrey Pines showdown with Justin Rose
- Fed Shifts to 'Patient' Policy on Rate Hikes
- Markets Right Now: Stocks sink on China slowdown fears
- Is India the team to beat at the ICC World Cup?
- Trump reverses course, says he and U.S. intelligence ‘in agreement’
- Nintendo delays its very first Mario Kart game for mobile
- ICC announces fixtures for Men's T20 World Cup 2020