Marine scientist David Mearns, who led the search boat, confirmed his findings on Twitter, positively identifying the Malibu Piper aircraft.
The plane was found at the bed of the English channel, and a UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch vessel remains in the area.
Guernsey police stopped looking for Sala and Ibbotson three days later, with officials saying the chance of them being alive was extremely unlikely.
"The families have been notified and the AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow morning. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David".
Sala's family arrived on Guernsey following his disappearance and were taken to see the area that was searched, circling the island of Alderney.
Outside of the stadium, fans left flowers, signed jerseys and other mementos honoring Sala, who signed for a club-record fee of almost $20 million on January 19 from FC Nantes in France.
And Cardiff Club chief executive Ken Choo said: "I'm sure all Cardiff City fans will join me in that and we can look forward to seeing our record signing in a Bluebirds shirt".
"I said to the lads "We have got to perform".
"I thought (the players) were wonderful".
"We never saw you play and never saw you score, but Emiliano our handsome Bluebird we will love you forever more". The fans were just incredible.
Neil Warnock was overheard insulting Match of the Day host Gary Lineker following Cardiff's victory over Bournemouth.
The players gathered on the centre circle to observe what Cardiff had described as a "minute's reflection", and fans held cards aloft behind one of the goals to spell out Sala's name in the colours of Argentina.
- Trump reverses course, says he and U.S. intelligence ‘in agreement’
- U.S. adds 304,000 jobs in January, almost doubling economists' expectations
- PS Plus Members Get 10x More Cloud Storage Space Next Month
- Trump expecting Patriots to capture 6th Super Bowl trophy
- Joe Schmidt issues World Cup warning to ‘bullied’ and ‘bruised’ Ireland
- Punxsutawney Phil predicts an early spring
- Martial on the bench as Sanchez, Rashford start against Leicester
- Cory Booker Announces He's Running for President
- Suarez Scores Stunning Goal On His First Arsenal Training Session
- Foreign Secretary: Brexit may have to be delayed