With the departure of LeBron James from Cleveland to the Los Angeles Lakers, Irving-led Boston was tipped to emerge as a powerhouse in the Eastern Conference a season after the Cavs denied an injury-hit Celtics squad in Game 7 of the conference finals. Knicks fans chanted "We Want Kyrie!" during the second half of the game - a reference to their desire for the Knicks to sign the point guard over the summer.
When asked if he was going to resign with the Celtics, Kyrie told reporters "ask me July 1st".
Irving also called a lot of the trade talk a bunch of "nonsense" to him.
Irving indicated that the Celtics are the frontrunners to sign him when he becomes a free agent in July. "I love the man that he's becoming, I love the challenges he's accepted and I always wish the best for him".
Then, the Knicks traded 2018 All-Star Kristaps Porzingis to the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday, opening up the potential to sign multiple free-agent superstars this offseason.
Malik Beasley scored a career-high 35 points, Nikola Jokic had 31 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists, and Denver almost held James Harden below 30 points in a blowout of visiting Houston.
Kyrie Irving heard the "We want Kyrie!".
Damyean Dotson led NY with 22 points while rookie Kevin Knox scored 21 to keep things close.
With all of the tampering that goes on between teams, players and agents, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks already know who they're going to sign this summer.
The new players weren't available, so the Knicks started with a backcourt of Dotson and Kadeem Allen. For all we know, Durant and Kyrie are locks to come to NY. "I am just constantly into how do I help these guys win the next play, how do I get them past the last play?"
"I still have confidence in Boston and what they can promise for the future and what we have in terms of our pieces", Irving said.
Irving was also asked Friday about the Knicks' decision to trade Porzingis.
- John Lynch misses out on Pro Football Hall of Fame
- PS Plus Members Get 10x More Cloud Storage Space Next Month
- Huawei’s foldable phone with 5G support to launch at MWC 2019
- Gurley: Taught Michel to 'run and catch' at Georgia
- Foreign Secretary: Brexit may have to be delayed
- Top Venezuelan general recognizes Juan Guaido as president, encourages military to defect
- Suarez Scores Stunning Goal On His First Arsenal Training Session
- Kaepernick mural removed before Super Bowl to be replaced
- Huawei will announce its 5G Foldable Phone at MWC 2019
- Joe Schmidt issues World Cup warning to ‘bullied’ and ‘bruised’ Ireland