Archila, the co-executive director at the Center for Popular Democracy, is the activist who confronted Jeff Flake, who was then serving as a GOP senator, in an elevator on Capitol Hill in a viral moment over the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
The conservative freakout prompted Ocasio-Cortez to defend herself, arguing there was no reason she should feel obligated to applaud policies she disagrees with.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the democratic socialist elected a year ago to represent New York's 14th congressional district, spent a good portion of Tuesday night's State of the Union address refusing to applaud numerous most memorable lines delivered by President Donald Trump.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez at the 2019 State of the Union.
Following the State of the Union address, Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan wrote on Twitter that Ocasio-Cortez "had a rare bad night, looking not spirited, warm and original as usual but sullen, teenaged and at a loss". She wore a beaded necklace and suede pumps capped off her pants. "I think that he stands for the rollback of decades of progress for women's rights, for communities of color, for workers, for immigrants", Archila said. In a statement to The Intercept, Archila said expressed gratidue for Ocasio-Cortez's invitation to Tuesday's high-stakes speech.
"We look forward to seeing the new members who come to our next meeting after the presidential insistence we will never live in a socialist country,"declaredDSA's Eugene, Oregon branch".
Ocasio-Cortez also made headlines by attending the speech while wearing a pin showing the face of Jakelin Caal, a Guatemalan child who died while in the custody of U. S. Customs and Border Protection.
Trump added, "America was founded on liberty and independence - not government coercion, domination, and control".
Immediately after condemning the "brutality" of former President Nicolás Maduro's authoritarian regime in Venezuela, Trump turned to socialism in America, apparently referring to Ocasio-Cortez's brand of democratic socialism. "We are born free, and we will stay free".
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Liam Neeson: 'This Man Is Not' a Bigot
- Facebook Messenger now lets you unsend messages, but be quick!
- What you need to know about the State of the Union address
- ‘Apex Legends’ Hits Twitch Running With $200,000 Competition
- One case of measles confirmed in Bell County
- New Zealand scientists discover memory stick in frozen seal poo
- Oil Slips Below $62 as US Inventories Rise
- Nancy Pelosi sparks meme frenzy during State of the Union
- Russia Suspends INF in Response to U.S. Withdrawal
- West Indies captain Jason Holder suspended for St Lucia Test