The rally, announced Wednesday morning, February 6, provides Trump with an opportunity to make a public case before a friendly audience for his long-promised border wall - a demand that led to the 35-day shutdown that ended January 25.
Border Patrol agents are working with other law enforcement agencies and the military to put additional security barriers in place at the two ports of entry in the Texas border town of Eagle Pass, according to a release from CBP. President George W. Bush approved a border fence; construction began in 2008, ended in 2009 - but that didn't lower El Paso's violent crime at all.
The White House said Trump will hold his 1st campaign rally of the year next Monday in El Paso, Texas.
He condemned the wall again in a series of tweets after Trump's State of the Union address, saying that walls have traditionally not worked and have "resulted in the deaths of thousands of migrants, including children".
"I reject the federal contention that there exists an overwhelming national security crisis at the southern border, along which are some of the safest communities in the country", Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said Tuesday in a statement.
Trump plans to visit El Paso for a rally next week, a visit during which Margo hopes he gets a chance to show Trump the truth about his city.
Pelosi said during week's press conference that no wall funding would be included in the deal prompting Trump's response that the negotiations are perhaps "a waste of time".
A large police force stood guard outside the unused factory complex where the shelter is located, about 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the border. By 2010 after the wall was built, El Paso's murder rate had dropped to 0.9 for every 100,000 residents, compared with a national average of 4.8.
Trump may also be doing what comes naturally to him. "But we've progressed to be the number one safest city in the nation".
According to an update on the page, any leftover funds will be donated to the Annunciation House of El Paso, a place that serves the "migrant, refugee, and economically vulnerable peoples of the border region through hospitality, advocacy, and education".
- Jeff Bezos responds to National Enquirer 'blackmail' with blog post
- Grizzlies trade Gasol to Raptors for Valanciunas, others
- Elizabeth Warren Makes It Official, Announces She’s Running For President In 2020
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- United States military ready to 'protect' diplomats in Venezuela - admiral
- Grizzlies offers fond farewell to Gasol
- Nerves no issue for Liverpool, says Klopp
- Why Lady Gaga is not attending the BAFTAs
- Met Éireann explain why they name storms as Storm Erik hits Ireland
- Livestream: Whitaker Testimony Before House Judiciary Committee