Regarding the supermoon event, there will not only be a full moon but the earth's satellite will be at the closest point in its orbit around the planet. It may also be referred to as the "Crow Moon, Crust Moon, Sap Moon, Sugar Moon, or Worm Moon", because it is the last full moon of the winter season, wrote NASA's Gordon Johnston in an online article.
He admits there's a bit of hype around supermoons, but at the end of the day, it's still a good way of getting people excited about the moon.
They used a telescope to get a closer view, as their aunt Sharia cuddled seven-month-old baby Leann see the full moon.
Astronomers said the rock is approximately 150 miles closer to Earth than it has been for nearly 30 years. As an example, let's compare the August 10, 2014, supermoon to the smallest Full Moon of 2014, which occurred January 15.
While there are often a handful of supermoons each year, this one is special because it will reach fullness only six hours after reaching its closest point in orbit, making it appear even bigger and brighter than usual. This can make the moon appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter. "The moon is one of the few celestial objects - along with the sun - that hasn't quite been drowned out by rampant and excessive light pollution due to the conversion to bluer LED lamps".
During the supermoon, the effects of the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth's oceans will be more pronounced, generating higher than normal high tides, known as "Spring Tides". You can choose to be an unapproachable elitist snob who poo-poos the whole notion of calling any Moon "super".
What is a Super Snow Moon or Super Hunger Moon?
It should be obvious why a February full moon is traditionally called a "snow moon" in the United States. Tonight's full moon will be 362 miles closer than last month's Supermoon.
- Saudi Crown Prince Arrives in Pakistan for Official Visit
- Iran arrests militants linked to attack on Revolutionary Guards
- Trump Ready to Veto Congress Move Against National Emergency, WH Aide Hints
- Irish American cardinal first ever bishop defrocked in history of Catholic Church
- Snow, ice to make travel hazardous in Northern Virginia
- Bernie's In: Sanders Joins the 2020 Race
- Australia has moved on from Tampa, Bill Shorten says
- What does the end of the A380 mean for Airbus?
- Anthony Davis Bluntly Addresses Trade Rumors
- Canadian prime minister Trudeau's chief secretary resigns