Regarding the supermoon event, there will not only be a full moon but the earth's satellite will be at the closest point in its orbit around the planet. It may also be referred to as the "Crow Moon, Crust Moon, Sap Moon, Sugar Moon, or Worm Moon", because it is the last full moon of the winter season, wrote NASA's Gordon Johnston in an online article.
He admits there's a bit of hype around supermoons, but at the end of the day, it's still a good way of getting people excited about the moon.
They used a telescope to get a closer view, as their aunt Sharia cuddled seven-month-old baby Leann see the full moon.
Astronomers said the rock is approximately 150 miles closer to Earth than it has been for nearly 30 years. As an example, let's compare the August 10, 2014, supermoon to the smallest Full Moon of 2014, which occurred January 15.
While there are often a handful of supermoons each year, this one is special because it will reach fullness only six hours after reaching its closest point in orbit, making it appear even bigger and brighter than usual. This can make the moon appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter. "The moon is one of the few celestial objects - along with the sun - that hasn't quite been drowned out by rampant and excessive light pollution due to the conversion to bluer LED lamps".
During the supermoon, the effects of the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth's oceans will be more pronounced, generating higher than normal high tides, known as "Spring Tides". You can choose to be an unapproachable elitist snob who poo-poos the whole notion of calling any Moon "super".
What is a Super Snow Moon or Super Hunger Moon?
It should be obvious why a February full moon is traditionally called a "snow moon" in the United States. Tonight's full moon will be 362 miles closer than last month's Supermoon.
- Pak confers highest civilian award Nishan-e-Pakistan on Saudi Crown Prince
- Teen who fled Britain to join ISIS has her United Kingdom citizenship revoked
- Bernie's In: Sanders Joins the 2020 Race
- Aurora attacker took gun to firing
- Trump's firing of FBI head Comey triggered probe — Ex-FBI official
- Germany rejects U.S. call to leave Iran nuclear deal
- Iran arrests militants linked to attack on Revolutionary Guards
- President Buhari orders military, police to be ruthless with election riggers
- Karl Lagerfield pronounced dead at the age of 85
- Amazon Drops New York Headquarters Plan Amid Protests