After a turbulent two years for Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, caught in the middle of President Donald Trump's ire over special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia-related investigation, who is the man Trump is nominating to replace Rosenstein?
Rosenstein previously oversaw the probe after former Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself, and more recently former acting attorney general Matt Whitaker supervised Mueller.
But, CNN reported, the timing could be impacted by Trump's upcoming second summit with North Korea ruler Kim Jong-un. Barr testified during his confirmation hearings that, as he understands the regulations governing the special counsel, the report will be confidential - and any report that goes to Congress or the public will be authored by the attorney general.
The deputy attorney general is also "similar to a chief operating officer", Rosenstein said after assuming the position in 2017.
Speculation about the end of the probe has been running rampant in Washington.
Barr now oversees the remaining work in the Russian Federation probe.
Although the sources say the investigation is coming to a close, plans could still change.
On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week, special counsel's office employees carried boxes and pushed a cart full of files out of their office - an unusual move that could foreshadow a hand-off of legal work.
Several Trump associates have been indicted or charged with criminal offenses so far.
A justice department official quoted by Reuters said Mr Rosenstein's decision was not linked to renewed claims that he had once suggested secretly recording Mr Trump. The network cited a senior DOJ official in its report. Mueller has referred certain cases to other attorneys to pursue and there continues to be court cases handled by other federal prosecutors.
- Top smartphones for gaming
- 'Pakistan nerve center of terror': India on Imran's Pulwama response
- Teen who fled Britain to join ISIS has her United Kingdom citizenship revoked
- Fox Praises ‘Consummate Professional’ Jussie Smollett in New Statement as Investigation Continues
- Irish American cardinal first ever bishop defrocked in history of Catholic Church
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Samsung launches folding smartphone in bid to rev up market
- Padres make 'serious' offers to Machado, Harper
- Bernie's In: Sanders Joins the 2020 Race
- Skygazers, it's time for a super snow moon tonight