February 17 - Chicago police say they want to speak with Smollett.
Smollett says two masked men hured racial and homophobic slurs at him, beat him and looped a rope around his neck. He said the men shouted the slurs and yelled "This is MAGA country", an apparent reference to President Donald Trump's campaign slogan, "Make America Great Again". "A spokesman for the Chicago Police Department said the department was already aware of the plea".
On Feb. 2, Smollett gave a concert in West Hollywood, California, opening with an emotional speech, saying he had to play the show because he couldn't let his attackers win. Police say the heavily redacted files aren't sufficient. Smollett said he redacted information to protect the privacy of contacts and people not relevant to the attack.
The brothers were picked up at Chicago O'Hare Airport on Wednesday night as they returned from Nigeria. They question them about the case. They also searched the men's apartment.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said he didn't know if Smollett was attending the meeting or the specifics of what was being discussed.
The Chicago Tribune notes that no further information has been provided about the witnesses or Foxx's relationship to them; the announcement came hours after the two brothers who were originally arrested in the case, Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo, spoke with prosecutors and detectives at the courthouse.
But now, police suspect that Smollett paid two pals to stage the assault.
Police couldn't find surveillance video of the attack but questioned two men who were initially deemed as suspects but who were released Friday.
Sources say at least one of the brothers bought the rope used in the incident at Smollett's request.
Smollett has publicly denied that he lied about being attacked.
Celebrities such as Naomi Campbell and Viola Davis shared their upset and outrage at news of the attack on social media.
However, as a result of the varying stories, Jussie's case is now heading to a Grand Jury, where, as TMZ reports, "the focus is presenting evidence that could lead to a felony indictment against Jussie for allegedly filing a false police report".
- Amazon Drops New York Headquarters Plan Amid Protests
- Germany rejects U.S. call to leave Iran nuclear deal
- UK Parliament throws out May's plan to renegotiate Brexit
- 'Pakistan nerve center of terror': India on Imran's Pulwama response
- Samsung launches folding smartphone in bid to rev up market
- Khloe Kardashian Splits With Tristan, He Allegedly Cheated With Kylie's BFF
- Fury's new ESPN deal casts shadow over Wilder rematch
- Trump lashes out at officials involved in Russian Federation probe
- Indian community pays tribute to Pulwama martyrs
- Iran arrests militants linked to attack on Revolutionary Guards