The pair, who have fallen out of the main England picture over the last year, are recalled in place of Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes with coach Trevor Bayliss protecting two of his major assets at the start of a tumultuous year that features a home World Cup and ashes. Jason Holder took 2/63.
Set what looked a daunting target after Chris Gayle´s 24th ODI hundred anchored the home side to 360-8, Roy blazed 123 off 85 balls at the top of the order while Root cruised to a comparatively sedate 102 off 97 deliveries to take help the tourists reach their target with eight balls to spare.
Opting to bat first, West Indies got a decent start as debutant left-hander Campbell dominated the opening stand with Gayle, hitting four fours and a six in a 28-ball knock before swatting seamer Chris Woakes (2-59) to Moeen Ali at deep mid-wicket in the ninth over with 38 runs on the board.
Roy's fourth ball of the day, from Bishoo, disappeared down the ground for six while both he and Jonny Bairstow used Thomas' express speed against him amid a flurry of early boundaries.
Hope - who had already overtaken Gayle after coming in at No. 3 - hit a big straight six off Moeen which landed on the roof of the media centre, some five storeys high. It is the most by a team in the history of ODIs.
"Coming here poses one of our stronger challenges because the surfaces do not lend themselves to expansive, aggressive cricket - it's more about sticking to your game plan", Morgan told reporters.
His best is 16 sixes versus Zimbabwe in 2015.
He went past Desmond Haynes (1,185). He achieved this feat in his 444th match while Afridi had smashed 476 sixes from 524 matches.
Where can I get tickets for West Indies vs England? .
Gayle amassed his highest ODI score versus England. Root's average of 52.04 is the highest of the four, some 12 runs more than Morgan's 39.18.
Written off before a ball was bowled in the three-Test series, the Holder-led unit went on to crush England in the opening two Tests, to recapture the coveted Wisden Trophy for the first time in a decade.
- Lawyer Says Woman Who Joined IS a US Citizen
- Fox Praises ‘Consummate Professional’ Jussie Smollett in New Statement as Investigation Continues
- Yakima County Health Officials Say So Far No Measles Cases
- Clive Lloyd talks about Chris Gayle’s importance in the tournament
- Serena Williams shares a peek inside Meghan Markle's £60,000 baby shower suite
- Another UK Lawmaker Leaves Labour Party Amid 'Anti-Semitism' Scandal
- Padres make 'serious' offers to Machado, Harper
- Syrian fighters start to evacuate civilians from last Islamic State bastion
- Liverpool 0 Bayern Munich 0
- Monkees member Peter Tork dies at age 77