The National Weather Service forecast calls for rain after 1 p.m. today, but temperatures will be in the low 40s most of the day before dipping into the upper 30s overnight. The heaviest snowfall will mainly be over northern Wisconsin and portions of the Minnesota Arrowhead.
The wind will ramp up Sunday, and gusts could near 50 miles per hour. And as the snow moves east onto Colorado's Eastern Plains, it could bring even higher snow totals to locations such as Sterling, Julesburg, Burlington, and Limon where amounts could reach at least 7 inches. McPherson and Reno counties have been added to the blizzard warning through midnight, however, NWS is calling for 2-5 inches of snow in those areas.
New snow accumulation of one to two inches is possible on Monday, followed by less than an inch on Tuesday, according to the weather service.
Meanwhile the San Juan Mountains in southwest Colorado will continue to get pounded with snow through Friday afternoon.
Sunday: High impact... The accumulating snow will be over, but significant blowing and drifting, even in the metro, will make travel hard and problematic.
Forecasters say a ground blizzard is expected through Sunday evening with whiteout conditions likely in open country and rural areas. They also may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions. The Kansas Department of Transportation said the closure was because of multiple crashes blocking the roadway.
Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning.
There are some churches that have canceled for Sunday due to the weather.
- Flowers from Meghan Markle's baby shower donated to charity
- Venezuela's Maduro closes Brazil border to block aid entry
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Morgan hails Roy and Root after record-breaking Windies win
- Chris Hemsworth to play wrestling legend Hulk Hogan in biopic
- Kids must benefit from Chelsea's transfer ban — MARTIN KEOWN
- Syrian fighters start to evacuate civilians from last Islamic State bastion
- #NigeriaDecides: Buhari ‘flogs’ Atiku in Obasanjo’s polling unit
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason