A six-time All-Star, Harper hit.249 with 34 home runs, 100 RBI and 103 runs scored past year in a career-high 159 games.
"Obviously a 13-year deal, that's good for the game", the pitcher said, per Mid-Atlantic Sports Network's Mark Zuckerman.
Last year, he hit 34 homers and produced a career-high 100 RBIs while walking 130 times, although his batting average dipped to.249.
After Bell congratulated Harper on his new contract - "Philly goin insane right now" - Harper returned a message to Bell saying, "Aye come join!" He's hit 14 home runs at Citizens Bank Park, putting up a.564 slugging percentage.
Not to mention, it will be interesting to see if the Phillies end up pulling off a surprise trade between now and Opening Day since it's quite common for teams to make some roster moves following a major signing like Harper.
As such I'm sticking with the mid-term grade I gave the Nats, one they fortified since then by signing second baseman Brian Dozier to a one-year deal.
Whereas the Giants made a long-term play, offering Harper 12 years and more than $300 million, the Dodgers went a different route: putting forth a short-term pact with a massive AAV. Harper wore a headband with the D.C. flag's design, reflecting his oft-stated pride in playing for Washington.
Only one of the two biggest free agents in baseball this offseason will sign with an NL West team.
However, in going to Philadelphia, Harper joins a club that has not reached the postseason since 2011, although their 80-82 record last season showed the Phillies to be a team on the rise. If they didn't get Harper and waited, they may have never had an opportunity to sign someone like a Mike Trout or Mookie Betts.
- Canada ex-attorney: Government tried to interfere in case
- IAF: Pakistan scrambles jets over 'India airspace violation'
- Trump says former lawyer Cohen 'lied a lot' in Congress testimony
- Man United face 'mutiny' if Solskjaer isn't named permanent boss
- Tristan Thompson And Jordyn Woods Agreed To Deny Tryst If Caught
- Tesla's Elon Musk calls SEC 'broken' in new Twitter spat
- Labour party leader, under pressure, backs a new Brexit referendum
- Vatican to open own probe into accusations against Pell
- Lady Gaga on Rumored Romance with Bradley Cooper: 'Fooled Ya'
- Fears 'Momo Challenge' may lead to child deaths