Wednesday afternoon the fighters of UFC 235 were finally on display at the MGM Casino and Resort in Las Vegas, NV for the card's open workouts.
The new welterweight champion during his remark gave a moving tribute to Woodley, saying his name has to be mentioned in the history of the tourney as one of the greatest.
With Askren wheeling away in celebration, the defeated Lawler immediately rose to his feet and protested over the stoppage, a moment which will certainly draw scrutiny in the coming days but it is Lawler's slam - and Askren's accompanying toughness - which will be this fight's more enduring memory.
The two-time NCAA wrestling champion at Missouri won the Bellator welterweight title in just his seventh pro bout in 2010, but he wasn't offered a UFC contract when he became a free agent in 2013. I feel like I'm getting there.
Lesnar had to go through the USADA testing pool before being eligible to fight, but even after doing so, we haven't heard much in regards to when he might return to the Octagon.
But he has no control over that situation, and will need to do the only thing he can to remain in the title conversation, regardless of the identity of the man who holds the belt. This may be the best card mixed martial arts fan will see all year, with the main event featuring UFC light heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones (23-1) squaring off against the very experienced veteran in challenger Anthony "Lionheart" Smith (31-13).
"If this fight stays standing, Garbrandt should have an edge, and I expect him to win a decision with better boxing", Marley told SportsLine.
Facing Robbie Lawler on the UFC 235 main-card on Saturday night, there has been the suggestion that Dana White has purposely given Ben a bad match-up in order to put this one to bed once and for all. I know I'm a hard guy to deal with. He is the youngest fighter to ever win a championship at age 23.
"It's going to take everything to win. skill, heart".
With the win over Oezdemir, Smith called for a fight for the title and got one against Jones. I still can't believe the UFC on ESPN.
Woodley had been the UFC's 170-pound champ since July 2016 and defended the belt four times before losing to the Nigerian fighter.
However, Jones has admitted that he'd move up to fight Brock Lesnar as opposed to Cormier, so his future in the light heavyweight division remains up in the air.
Tune in to Sony Six and Sony Six HD at 8:30 AM on 3rd March 2019 to see all the action from UFC 235.
- The Vatican announces its own investigation of Cardinal Pell
- Captured Indian pilot freed by Pakistan in attempt to calm tensions
- TMZ: Luke Perry has massive stroke shortly after 90210 series announcement
- Jonas Brothers release comeback single "Sucker": Stream
- Lady Gaga on Rumored Romance with Bradley Cooper: 'Fooled Ya'
- Kris Jenner Reacts To Jordyn Woods Red Table Talk Interview | Hollywoodlife
- Vatican to open own probe into accusations against Pell
- IAF pilot Abhinandan Varthaman's parents get standing ovation on Chennai-Delhi flight
- Impactful Snow Storm Heading Our Way Sunday
- SpaceX Crew Dragon launches demo flight