Officers pursuing a vandalism suspect say they thought Clark was holding a gun when they confronted him. However, an independent autopsy ordered by Clark's family states that he was shot eight times, six of those in the back.
Protests and rallies disrupted traffic and blocked access to NBA basketball games.
Mall officials say they made the decision to close on Sunday at the recommendation of city officials, noting information about a "concentrated effort by protesters to gather in unsafe numbers within the mall".
Stevante Clark said his family plans to mark the upcoming anniversary of his brother's death with a weekend honouring his life that will begin on March 15 and conclude on March 18. "The City has once again failed Stephon Clark, his family and the people of Sacramento".
"When we look at the facts and the law, and we follow our ethical responsibilities, the answer.is no", Schubert told reporters, hours after meeting with the family.
"Black lives matter": dozens demonstrated outside the Sacramento Police Department following the decision. "That is the crux of this whole case: Did the officers have an honest and reasonable belief they needed to defend themselves?"
"What they're saying is, they're denying our allegations, which is pretty standard", Galipo said.
"I can't tell ultimately what was going on in his mind", she said.
She also replayed body camera footage of the moments just before the shooting, warning that it was "graphic and troubling to watch".
"What really bothers me about the presentation or the suggestion that Stephon Clark wanted to be killed by the police", Galipo said.
The two officers "acted lawfully under the circumstances", the DA said. As they rounded the corner, Clark was at least 30 feet away behind a picnic table, Schubert said. The video shows Clark staggering sideways and falling on his stomach as the officers continue shooting.
"Show me your hands", one officers said, breathing heavily.
Schubert said the evidence - including video of the scene - showed that Clark was advancing on two officers, Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet, and was in a shooting posture when they opened fire.
The decision not to charge the officers was not a surprise for some.
In an hour-long press conference, Schubert justified her decision to not file any charges against Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet, referring to the bodycam and helicopter police videos from the scene, accounts given by the witnesses, an initial 911 call alerting police on a suspected vehicle burglary, multiple evaluations of Clark's autopsy report and his cell phone history. "There is deep pain and anguish" in Sacramento, he said then.
McCormick said inumerable police brutality cases as well as evidence the government was illegally spying on citizens, suggests that it is time to reasset the rights enshrined in the Fourth Amendment, which says "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized".
Two Sacramento police officers will not face criminal charges in last year's fatal shooting of an unarmed black man that brought nationwide protests.
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- SpaceX Crew Dragon launches demo flight
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Modis policies highlighted Kashmir on global forums, says Qureshi
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith Results
- Trump says he’ll issue order protecting campus free speech
- Redskins would win big with a Josh Rosen trade
- Trump tweets Cohen grilling may have led to failure with N. Korea
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: I’ve spoken to Man United about summer transfers