In bribing coaches as part of his scam Singer said he'd have the parents donate $50,000 to the athletics program in question as a first assurance that their child would be admitted to schools like Stanford, Georgetown, UCLA and others.
Lelling said in most cases, the students had no idea their parents were allegedly paying bribes to get them admitted.
Federal court records unsealed Tuesday in Boston name 50 people who have been indicted as part of the nationwide scheme, according to a release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in MA.
Prosecutors say the coaches were bribed to indicate students were being considered as athletic recruits, because universities "typically apply different criteria when evaluating applications from students with demonstrated athletic abilities".
Huffman, who is married to actor William H. Macy, arranged for her daughter to be granted extra time for her SAT exam by having her certified as having a learning disability.
Huffman, an Academy Award nominee, has been charged with felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, according to court paperwork filed Monday in federal court in MA.
He said he "controlled" an SAT testing site and could have a proctor "secretly correct her answers" after she took the test. Prosecutors said the parents agreed to the plan.
In 2007 Singer began operating the Edge College & Career Network, also known as "The Key" - a college counseling and preparation services business, authorities said. Her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, was arrested at their home. According to the AP, prosecutors allege fake athletic profiles were made and administrators were bribed to allow a Florida man to take admissions tests on behalf of students.
"In exchange for the bribe, the U-Texas coach designated the son of one of Singer's clients, who did not play tennis competitively, as a recruit for the university's tennis team, thereby facilitating his admission to U-Texas", a court document says. Some of the parents reportedly claimed the payment as charitable donations to lower their taxes.
Singer, of Newport Beach, Calif., pleaded guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Boston to charges including racketeering conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
- What Pope Francis Said About Women On International Women’s Day
- CT Dems hope vote condemning anti-Semitism ends furor
- Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin busted in college admissions cheating scandal
- $161,000 child support paid to get R Kelly out of jail
- Guardiola not interested in Juventus move as Man City continue title bid
- Fan pleads guilty to punching Grealish
- Palestinian Leaders Angered As U.S. Moves Main Diplomatic Mission
- Canada's No-Sex, No-Money Scandal Could Topple Trudeau
- Redskins could be interested in Le'Veon Bell
- Google’s Crazy Reservation-Making A.I. Is Coming to iPhone