Quoted in local media reports, Nimalsiri said that Sri Lanka was monitoring the situation closely but no such aircraft was overflying or landing in Sri Lanka at the moment.
Latin America's two largest nations Brazil and Mexico on Wednesday suspended Boeing Co's 737 MAX aircraft from flying, mirroring actions by European, Chinese and US authorities after the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines plane.
The European Union and 50 other countries grounded the Max 8 before Canada, pending the outcome of an investigation into Sunday's tragedy.
Last October, Indonesia's Lion Air Flight 610 crashed into the ocean 13 minutes after taking off from the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.
Passenger rights advocate Gabor Lukacs said Wednesday that it would be prudent for Garneau to suspend use of the aircraft until questions are answered about what caused the Ethiopian crash. But the USA regulator says it is safe to fly.
"Boeing is more than just a company for the USA and Ethiopia can not reasonably expect a judicious outcome from a U.S. investigation", Awo added.
The semi-autonomous Chinese city's Civil Aviation Department (CAD) said it was imposing a temporary suspension from 6 pm local time (1000 GMT) on Wednesday until further notice on "operation of Boeing B737 MAX aircraft into, out of and over Hong Kong".
We sincerely thank all stakeholders for the continued confidence placed in the National Airline of Trinidad and Tobago.
Southwest is the only air carrier with 737 Max planes flying in and out of St. Louis Lambert International Airport, according to airport director Rhonda Hamm-Niebrugge.
Any planes now in the air will fly to their destination and be grounded immediately, Trump said.
This comes after the second fatal crash of a 737 MAX inside of five months, and after Canada, Europe, and others had already opted to ground the plane.
- Trump Mocks Beto O'Rourke's Hand Gestures: 'Is He Crazy?'
- Vikings losing Latavius Murray, Tay Train expected to sign with Saints
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Celebrations as Algeria's president announces he won't run for 5th term
- Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in college admission cheating scam
- Lakers' Lonzo Ball (ankle) will miss remainder of the season
- Loughlin posts $1 million bail in bribery case
- Odell Beckham Jr. trade has Giants fans questioning their very existence
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Facebook temporarily pulled Warren ads about breaking it up