On the day Messi drew level with Andres Iniesta on 674 appearances for Barca, the captain moved ahead of Xavi to set a new club record for featuring in wins - this victory becoming his 477th.
Messi, sporting a trimmed beard, opened the scoring with a typically ideal free-kick.
In this matchup I'm not giving a lot of chances to Betis because their defense is shaky and offensively, they can't produce enough to top Messi, Suarez and Coutinho so I'm going to side with Barcelona. But this game will be remembered by the 54,000 mostly Betis spectators who turned up on Sunday to back their team, only to end up honoring the man who helped deal it a hefty defeat.
Betis were happy to open up and nearly took the lead when Joaquin volleyed first-time to the stretching Sergio Canales, but he was unable to connect. I'm very grateful for the response from the fans. The Argentine International added another goal before the half time to take a two-goal cushion into the second half.
With 10 games to go Barcelona are closing in on the title.
One wrote: "After all Messi's goals, we identify with the expression of Pau Lopez".
Barcelona great Messi has been stealing the headlines in Spain this season. "Worse things have happened. But we didn't suffer at all", said Messi, who will return to Argentina duty in the upcoming worldwide break, via Sport.
Messi has now scored a insane 39 goals and provided 18 assists in 37 matches so far this term and is undoubtedly on a different level to all other players in the world.
"We played against a team that treats the ball well", Messi added.
Barca's win was tainted by a late injury to Suarez, however.
The Catalan club have confirmed he will undergo further tests on Monday to determine the severity of the injury, but he will not join up with Uruguay during the global break this week. The Uruguay global forward, who scored a stunning solo goal, was forced off late on with an ankle sprain.
- How the New Zealand mosque shootings unfolded
- Building collapses in Lagos, school kids trapped, many feared dead
- DUP issues its final demands to get May's deal over line
- Cyclone Idai Leaves Scores Dead in Zimbabwe, Mozambique
- Facebook loses Chief Product Officer Chris Cox and WhatsApp VP Chris Daniels
- US House wants Mueller report made public
- Space-Marooned Iron Man Lands Back at Earth in 'Avengers: Endgame' Trailer
- Death Row Inmates Saved From Execution By Governor Of California
- Tesla unveils a new SUV, the Model Y
- Pep Guardiola refuses to discuss potential Manchester City quadruple