Prior to the release of the Huawei P30 series, the Chinese company threw shade at its rival Samsung, who had just released the Galaxy S10 series. Alongside the new smartphones, Huawei brought the FreeLace and FreeBuds Lite earbuds.
"We're going to completely rewrite the rules of smartphone photography, and we can do this because we own the complete ecosystem within the smartphone".
Both phones run EMUI 9.1 based on Android Pie. While often it takes a while to steady and focus - you'll ruin photos by moving the phone too quickly after snapping - numerous pictures we take, both inside the briefing room and along Amsterdam's canals, are of a quality beyond which we usually manage.
The P30's flat OLED display comes in at a slightly smaller 6.1 inches and has an in-screen fingerprint sensor.
The Huawei P30 has a 6.1-inch FHD+ (2340 x 1080) OLED DCI-P3 HDR display with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. Further, the P30 and P30 Pro will be able to wirelessly charge accessories such as headphones or even another phone. Inside, the device also packs the Kirin 980 processor and 8GB of RAM, but storage now tops out at 256GB.
The phone also comes equipped with Huawei's Kirin 980 artificial intelligence chipset, as well as the reverse wireless charging feature it introduced previous year with the Mate 20 Pro, which lets a user charge their phone wirelessly from another phone.
We're hoping for strong battery life although there's no 40w fast charge or wireless charging support.
Huawei notes that while the P20 Pro unveiled in 2018 has a max ISO of 102400 that matches the Canon 5D Mark IV in sensitivity, the P30 Pro blows both of those devices out of the water with ISO 409600.
Moreover, the product can also deliver a 10-times hybrid zoom Huawei claims harnesses every single one of the phone's four sensors.
The Huawei P30 Pro has just been announced in 5 cool colors and with an even cooler camera module - a 5x telephoto lens that can achieve up to 50x digital zoom, a RYYB sensor for upgraded low-light photography, and even a ToF sensor on the side! You also get Colour Temperature and Flicker sensor. Both handsets include a new SuperSpectrum lens for better low-light photos, and the P30 Pro features a periscope lens that uses a prism for near-lossless images at up to 10X zoom.
The ultra-wide is now a 16MP sensor with an f/2.2 aperture lens, and while the zoom camera still features an 8MP sensor, the lens is no longer a periscope lens, but a standard 3X f/2.4 aperture lens with OIS. Gone is the dedicated monochrome sensor camera as found on the P20 Pro, which some people will be sorry to see go - but it was felt that the wide-angle lens was more popular.
- Cruise Ship off Norway Issues Mayday, Begins Evacuations
- Russian Federation calls on USA to formally recognize no collusion with Trump
- New Zealand shootings: How New Zealand is remembering Christchurch victims
- Sen Lindsey Graham leads Republicans demanding full Mueller report released in full
- Israel launches strikes on Hamas in Gaza after rocket
- US Senate Republican wants a special counsel to investigate Trump probe
- No-deal Brexit increasingly likely, say EU officials
- Student tragedies highlight need for Stoneman Douglas survivors to seek help
- MPs rubbish talk of coup as anti-Brexit petition reaches 5 million
- McElroy: Rams ready to go vs Tacko (with Brooms, pads, asst. coaches,etc)