The rapper, entrepreneur and father of two, born Ermias Asghedom, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. He had recently begun buying real estate to reinvest in the community in which he grew up, including purchasing the strip mall in which his clothing store was located.
Rapper Nipsey Hussle died of gunshot wounds to the head and torso, the L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed on Monday.
Nipsey Hussle, one of three victims involved in a shooting in Los Angeles on March 31, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. The other two victims both survived.
Los Angeles Police Department Commissioner Steve Soboroff said that he was scheduled to meet with Nipsey Hussle, Police chief Michel Moore and Jay-Z's company Roc Nation to discuss ways to end gang violence.
Signed to Atlantic Records, he performed at the Warner Music party in Los Angeles during Grammy Week.
He released a number of mixtapes before his debut album, Victory Lap, in February, which earned recognition at the Grammys.
Hussle had always been associated with the Rollin 60s Neighborhood Crips, one of Los Angeles' largest street gangs.
Hours before his death, Hussle tweeted: "Having strong enemies is a blessing".
It didn't take long for the tributes to pour in.
Police described the suspect as a black male in his 20s and said he was still at large.
This is a breaking news story and is constantly being updated.
- Prince William visit to honour Christchurch attack victims
- Trump's Obamacare trash fire will burn Alabama
- British Lawmakers Vote Against All Brexit Alternative Plans
- Brexit in meltdown: Theresa May under pressure to forge softer divorce deal
- Day 5 match recaps: WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play
- Why Mike Davis was signed to help replace Jordan Howard
- British MPs debate Brexit alternatives for new round of Parliament votes
- It would be an honour to coach LeBron and Lakers, admits Kidd
- US Democrats Reject Trump's Decision on Central America
- Huawei posts increase in 2018 earnings despite criticisms