Like our system in March, the worst of the wind will be along and EAST of I-25, but bluster conditions are still expected through the metro areas Wednesday evening.
It's too soon to definitively nail down exact snowfall amounts and the placement of the heaviest snow.
"People don't want to hear it right now, but the best thing would be snow because it would take two, three, four days to melt", Schmidt said.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS.Travel could be very hard. There were no immediate reports of serious injuries.
Parts of South Dakota may get up to 30 inches of snow.
Kristi Noem has closed state government offices in 52 counties.
During a February blizzard, the National Guard rescued and housed drivers stranded in the southern Minnesota county.
Throughout the day Thursday and Friday, the wind will get a lot stronger.
More than 500 flights were canceled at Denver International Airport on Wednesday, about a quarter of its total schedule, according to FlightAware.com, an airline tracking website. A few school districts in Colorado and Wyoming canceled classes, while others opted for a shortened day and canceled evening activities.
High wind watches and warnings extend from California into Texas and Oklahoma.
This setup may sound familiar, as it has some rough similarities to last month's Plains bomb cyclone, Winter Storm Ulmer.
The winter storm warnings also stand in sharp contrast to Monday temperatures, with parts of the Midwest getting above 70 degrees.
The storm deemed "potentially historic" by the Weather Prediction Center brings the specter of renewed flooding to a part of the country where massive flooding over the past month has caused billions of dollars in damage.
'It's slow moving. It won't push farther east until Friday, ' he said. Depending on location, it will generate blinding snow, heavy rain and storms, powerful winds, or a combination.
"We're not out of the woods", Walz said.
The weather service reported the flood warning continues along the Mississippi River at Aitkin and Fort Ripley. But we're still getting some of it. So IF we're going to hit those forecast totals, this will be the most likely window to do so in.
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- NISSAN shareholders sack ex-chairman Carlos Ghosn
- PSG forced to wait to clinch title after being held by Strasbourg
- 'Meghan Markle may skip royal baby photocall because of bad press'
- Jurgen Klopp insists Liverpool can’t play like Man City
- Guardiola on City＇s quadruple dream: It＇s nice to be where we are
- Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild Will Support Labo VR