Walton, 39, is considered the frontrunner for the coaching vacancy in Sacramento after Dave Joerger was sacked Thursday.
The Lakers finished 37-45 this year and missed the playoffs in all three seasons Walton was at the helm.
The team was 26-56 in Walton's first season in 2016-17 before improving to 35-47 in 2017-18. The Lakers posted a franchise-worst 17-65 record just before he arrived. "We wish Luke and his family the best of luck moving forward".
"I said today on Undisputed that it felt like Jeanie Buss would dig in and keep Luke Walton, to spite Magic and LeBron". Walton, who was a reported target of the Sacramento Kings prior to his future being decided with the Lakers, is said to be nearing a multi-year contract.
Lue joined the Cavs' coaching staff in 2014 as the team's associate head coach under head coach David Blatt.
Walton did what he could with a dysfunctional Lakers team and he still has plenty of time to prove that he can be a good National Basketball Association coach.
The Los Angeles Lakers and Luke Walton have mutually agreed to part ways. Everything has to be in good order. "I feel for Luke". The pair were teammates on the Lakers.
Walton is rumored to be a candidate for the Sacramento Kings head coaching job immediately following the end of his tenure with the Lakers.
Williams is widely respected around the league. Mid-season past year, the Cavs fired then-head coach Tyronn Lue. Walton stepped in as Golden State's interim coach when Kerr was sidelined by health issues to start the 2015-16 season, and he led the Warriors to a 24-0 start and a 39-4 record before Kerr returned to the bench.
- Loose Women call Harry and Meghan's royal baby plan 'stage-managed'
- Global economic growth to slow to 3.3% in 2019, says International Monetary Fund
- Boeing brings down 737 Max output following two deadly crashes
- Tottenham confirm 'significant' Kane ligament injury
- Trump Says He Will Deploy More Troops to Southern US Border
- With Measles Outbreaks, A Deadly But Preventable Disease Returns
- Indian election parties hit by TV and funding clampdown
- Disney+ to debut November 12, will cost $6.99 a month
- Treasury Won't Comply With Dems On Trump's Taxes
- NY declares a public measles health emergency