He is the highest-paid player in the NFL.
However, with Wilson becoming the highest-paid quarterback in National Football League history, Goff's sights just got set on a new number: $35 million per year. The contract makes Wilson the NFL's highest-paid player, and it locks the Seahawks quarterback down until 2023.
Wilson and his agent, Mark Rodgers, had imposed a deadline on April 15th as the final time they would address a new contract with the Seahawks ahead of the final year of his existing contract.
Wilson's 2015 extension averaged $21.9 million, which at the time made him the second-highest-paid quarterback in terms of annual average below Rodgers at $22 million. But if they did make the move to bring Russell Wilson in?
"Time for y'all to go to bed", he said at 12:44 a.m. He has the highest yearly average salary at $35 million per season. The deal reportedly came after several days of negotiation.
The deal, which includes a $65 million signing bonus and no-trade clause, was reached late Monday night. Rumors began to swirl about a possible exit strategy if the team had to veer too far off its old strategy of building an elite defense around him, but then the two sides agreed on a four-year deal worth $140 million per season.
The quarterback who has led the Seahawks to seven straight winning seasons is staying in Seattle for a few more years.
"Oh yeah, if that's what I've got to do", Wilson said. Jarran Reed, I know that's a guy that they really think is one of the core young leaders on the team (and) they really want to get him locked up.
It's hardly surprising the Seahawks prioritized getting a deal done. He has passed for 25,624 yards with 212 total touchdowns while completing 64.1 percent of his passes.
Wilson, 30, has been the Seahawks' starting quarterback since 2012. Seattle could have held onto Wilson through the 2020 and 2021 seasons by using the franchise tag, but the cost would have become prohibitive after that, and the notion of trading him before reaching critical mass might well have been broached.
The Seahawks' Super Bowl loss the next year, via an ill-fated interception by virtue of an ill-advised play call, always will hang over Wilson.
Wilson, 30, is a Super Bowl victor and five-time Pro Bowler. "I love it here, I love this city, I love the fans here". The heart of his career will be played out right where it started.
- United must do ‘clever business’ to compete with European elite - Solskjaer
- Sadio Mane or Mohamed Salah? Jamie Carragher picks most important Liverpool player
- Tiger caps comeback with 15th major title
- President Trump Says Boeing Should 'Rebrand' the 737 Max After Fatal Crashes
- US Justice Department expects to release Russia report Thursday
- Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral fire prompts $1 billion in donations
- More than 100 climate change activists arrested for blocking London roads
- Spire collapses as huge fire engulfs Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris
- Khloé Kardashian threw daughter True the birthday party of your childhood dreams
- Sudan's military rulers fire top chief prosecutor, aids