Former Liverpool midfielder Phillippe Coutinho added a third with a brilliant curling shot in the 61st minute, but by that stage any dreams of another Manchester United miracle at the Camp Nou - where current manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored an injury time victor in the Champions League final 20 years ago to give United the title - were well and truly over. We had very clear chances but this is football, this is the Champions League.
"He is a player that can get 25 goals per season and can score in important matches".
"You must have more personality to make a difference and the days that [Lionel] Messi and [Luis] Suarez do not score; he has to step up".
It was Messi's tenth goal in Europe and 45th in all competitions this season as well as his 597th in a Barcelona shirt. Donny van de Beek canceled out Ronaldo's opener before Matthijs de Ligt took the victor to let the Dutch visitors advance 3-2 overall.
Pogba has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, where coach Zinedine Zidane has spoken of his admiration for his compatriot and fellow World Cup-winning midfielder. Far from shying away from contact with rivals, he initiated it with his defense to set an example for his teammates when they were caught off-guard after kickoff.
Messi then flew in and grabbed the loose ball ahead of a sliding Young. With the ball at his feet, MESSI with a nutmeg through FRED and a left footed shot from outside of the area beat goalkeeper David DE GEA and gave Barcelona the 1-0 lead.
That, however, was before Messi's quickfire double. I've said all along this isn't going to change overnight and the next few years are going to be massive for us to get to the level where Barcelona and other teams are at the moment. "But then there were another 85 minutes where we were not too bad". "The quality of finishing was outstanding", the former striker said in his post-match press conference.
However, the reality of the squad he has inherited has started to bite since the thrilling 3-1 win over Paris St Germain that sparked him being given the job permanently. There have been many doubts sent his way when playing for the national team, and whilst some, maybe much, of the criticism has been over the top, he's simply not consistently at his best for the national team.
Philippe Coutinho should not have gestured to the Barcelona fans as he did after scoring in Tuesday's victory over Manchester United, according to Rivaldo.
"He showed why we all think that and why he's won so many titles and why this team have won so many Champions Leagues (four since 2006)".
- Red Bull "Maximised Result" in China But Still Lack Pace - Max Verstappen
- The Masters: Complete player earnings, prize money from victor to 50th
- National Basketball Association playoffs 2019: Western Conference first-round previews, predictions
- President Trump Says Boeing Should 'Rebrand' the 737 Max After Fatal Crashes
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Reveal Trailer (HD)
- Ocasio-Cortez: Joe Biden Running for President Doesn't 'Animate Me'
- Criticism mounts of Trump pick for U.S. Federal Reserve
- Spire collapses as huge fire engulfs Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris
- Pete Buttigieg in third behind Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders in Iowa poll
- First STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN Images