It was rumored that Endgame was poised to break this fantastic record opening weekend, but it wasn't confirmed until the numbers were in for Sunday, April 28, 2019.
"We're looking at more than 30 million American and more than 100 million global guests that experienced "Endgame" on the big screen in one weekend", said John Fithian of the National Association of Theater Owners.
Disney's Marvel catalogue is proving to be one of its most lucrative offerings. The total also includes the record for the largest Thursday night previews ($60 million) and the largest single day in history ($156.7 million on Friday), smashing The Force Awakens' previous high of $119 million.
Major mainland studios such as China Film, Wanda Film Holding and Hengdian Entertainment all recorded a decline of 13% to 14% in their share prices since Endgame debuted.
Avengers: Endgame concludes what Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige dubbed as "The Infinity Saga" or what we've seen as Thanos' secret quest for the powerful Infinity Stones. MCU's latest outing, Avengers: Endgame, which hit the big screens on April 26, has taken over the Indian box office like insane and the numbers that are pouring in serve as evidence!
Given Endgame's strong start, it'll be interesting to see where the movie finishes when it ends its theatrical run.
"Endgame" immediately becomes the biggest movie of the year, too, topping Disney's setup movie, "Captain Marvel", which has grossed $1.1 billion total since its early March release.
However, entertainment portal Comicbook reported that "Endgame" will be the last Marvel movie the brothers direct.
Endgame is playing in 4,662 theaters in North America, the widest release of all time.
The Avengers assembled this weekend to decimate an opponent: the modern Hollywood record books.
- Kyler Murray goes to Arizona as 2019 Draft kicks off
- Latest Poll Proves Devastating for Trump - but Also for American Democracy
- Brendon Urie to open Billboard Music Awards with Taylor Swift
- Manchester United set to sell Pogba and Lukaku for £200 million
- North says he won’t serve second term as president of NRA
- Prince William & Duchess Kate Have Visited Meghan at Frogmore Cottage
- Damian Lillard Says There’s Nothing Personal Between Him And Russell Westbrook
- Warriors Look More Vulnerable Than Ever After Game 5 Loss to Clippers
- Russia won't immediately ramp up oil output after US cancels Iran waivers
- Accurate Fan Reactions To Taylor Swift's 'ME!' Music Video