Following the massive success of Blizzard's Overwatch League, which generates millions through viewerships, game-selling engagement, and competitions, Activision is ramping up its Call of Duty League big time.
These five teams are owned by the same owners behind the Overwatch League teams in the cities. The plan is to extend its "franchises to mobile where we build on our existing mobile leadership and extend our acclaimed console and PC franchises to the largest and fastest-growing platform". The company declared its intention to focus on its core gaming franchises, including CoD, and the pricey franchise deals form a key part of that strategy.
Discussing the league in its Q1 2019 earnings call, the developer announced that spots for Atlanta, Dallas, New York, Paris, and Toronto have all been secured.
Before going on to say that he expects the next Call of Duty game to bring "game-changing experiences to our fans" at and after launch.
Call of Duty World League teams are coming to a handful of cities, including NY and Paris.
A new city-based esports league for popular video game Call of Duty has announced its first teams, with Paris the European representative. Envy Gaming is the owner and operator of esports franchise Team Envy and "Overwatch" League team Dallas Fuel.
In an Activision Blizzard investor call, COO Collister Johnson said mobile is one of the company's "four key long-term strategic growth drivers". "We have already sold the first five Call of Duty teams.to owners who recognize the scale of the opportunity from their partnerships with us on the Overwatch League". "Our early momentum for franchise sales has been strong as we welcome our first five partners", added Pete Vlastelica, president of Activision's esports division.
Activision now operates the Call of Duty World League which has been running since 2015.
- Kit Harington And Emilia Clarke Tease 'Game Of Thrones' Final Episodes
- Alphabet's Q1 brought down by EC fine
- WH Lawyer Told Barr That Mueller Should've Reached Obstruction Decision
- Pakistan orders to freeze assets of Masood Azhar, imposes travel ban
- Mueller criticised attorney-general's summary of Russian Federation investigation
- Venezuela's opposition leader Guaido claims support of soldiers in Caracas
- Turns Out Taylor Swift Intended For 'ME!' To Be Corny As Hell
- County urges adults to be aware of their vaccination history
- Of course the Arya Stark challenge is a thing now
- 'Proud' Van Dijk named PFA Player of the Year