In suburban St. Louis, the river is expected to reach 9 to 10 feet above flood stage Saturday at several locations in northeast Missouri and at Quincy, Ill. By Thursday, the river was within inches of the 1993 all-time high, and expected to top it. The city's downtown remained under water Friday, days after a temporary levee gave way and flooded the city that does not have a permanent levee or floodwall, the Associated Press reports.
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds visited Davenport Friday. "With the river level here just about cresting, we're hopeful that we don't have to".
During the historic flooding in July 1993, the Mississippi River near Davenport rose to its highest level ever: 22.63 feet. The Marseilles Police Department will continue to monitor the River predictions and will relay any further instructions as more information becomes available. He said water is beginning to encroach upon city hall.
"We're still vulnerable for the rest of the season", Palmer said.
Sandbagging begins Thursday on the Peoria riverfront as the Illinois River pushes past flood stage. The reading is nearly eight feet above flood stage.
"All we can really do is wait and see", Gleason said.
It isn't clear when the river will reopen at St. Louis.
The U.S. Coast Guard on Friday closed the MS for a 5-mile stretch at St. Louis, citing both the high water and the swift current. Advisories are issued for segments of rivers nearing bank full.
At least 3,000 homes have been damaged in Wayne County from flooding.
- Tiger Woods’ $20M yacht docks on Long Island ahead of PGA Championship
- Rask sharp as Bruins top Blue Jackets to even series
- Trump retweets some 60 anti-Biden tweets responding to firefighter union endorsement
- Armed forces on alert as Odisha braces for cyclonic storm 'Fani'
- 'Proud' Van Dijk named PFA Player of the Year
- Kawhi Leonard's body language after Game 3 loss sparks concern
- Trumps sue to quash congressional bank subpoenas
- UK Defence Secretary fired after Huawei decision leak
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy blasts Rep. Jerry Nadler over Barr
- County urges adults to be aware of their vaccination history