This year's theme is "Camp: Notes on Fashion" which was inspired by Susan Sontag's 1964 essay "Notes on Camp" and really who knows what these wonderful designers will come up with this year.
Be sure to check out all of PEOPLE's Met Gala coverage to get the latest news on fashion's biggest night.
But really, it's to show off all the fabulous fashion on one of the most famous red carpets in entertainment. If you absolutely must take a cigarette break, you'll have to find your way to an outside exit, but there's no telling on whether or not you'll be allowed back in.
Andrew Bolton, the curator of the Costume Institute, told Vogue that camp "has become increasingly more mainstream in its pluralities-political camp, queer camp, Pop camp, the conflation of high and low, the idea that there is no such thing as originality". But she promised to pull out all the stops for 2019's "Camp: Notes on Fashion" theme, and she delivered.
In 1972 Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland took over and morphed it into a more celebrity-oriented affair with guests Andy Warhol, Diana Ross and Cher fraternizing with the high society of NY.
The Camp: Notes on Fashion exhibit will run from May 9 through September 8. ' This year's theme is all about exaggeration and being over-the-top.
It's no surprise we're excited to see what Lady Gaga will wear to this year's Met Gala.
"I know some A-listers who regularly attend were unhappy with the looks designers were pitching them", said one fashion insider.
Anyone who is anyone is there, at least according to Wintour's handpicked and closely scrutinized guest list .
Organizers did reveal a smattering of names last month - members of the so-called "host committee" - and so expect to see Jennifer Lopez, Bradley Cooper, Katy Perry and Priyanka Chopra.
The Met Gala 2019 countdown is on and it's time for Queen of Reality Television, Kim K to share a stunning throwback photo.
So what exactly is "camp"?
Rihanna at the Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 7, 2012 in New York City.
'In the end, the objective of camp is to put a smile on our faces and a warm glow in our hearts'.
- Mississippi River reaches record high level in Quad Cities
- Pressure Grows on Attorney General Barr Over Mueller
- UK Defence Secretary fired after Huawei decision leak
- Guardiola can cope with title pressure, says Leicester boss Rodgers
- Flying debris kills woman in Odisha as cyclone Fani gains strength
- US Job Creation Surges in April; Unemployment Hits 49-Year Low
- Trump's tariff threat leaves Beijing stalling on next talks
- Tiger Woods’ $20M yacht docks on Long Island ahead of PGA Championship
- Pentagon: Chinese military growing fast to challenge USA military superiority
- Bucks 'Bench Mob' Outscores Celtics Bench 42-16 In Game 3