This year's theme is "Camp: Notes on Fashion" which was inspired by Susan Sontag's 1964 essay "Notes on Camp" and really who knows what these wonderful designers will come up with this year.
Be sure to check out all of PEOPLE's Met Gala coverage to get the latest news on fashion's biggest night.
But really, it's to show off all the fabulous fashion on one of the most famous red carpets in entertainment. If you absolutely must take a cigarette break, you'll have to find your way to an outside exit, but there's no telling on whether or not you'll be allowed back in.
Andrew Bolton, the curator of the Costume Institute, told Vogue that camp "has become increasingly more mainstream in its pluralities-political camp, queer camp, Pop camp, the conflation of high and low, the idea that there is no such thing as originality". But she promised to pull out all the stops for 2019's "Camp: Notes on Fashion" theme, and she delivered.
In 1972 Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland took over and morphed it into a more celebrity-oriented affair with guests Andy Warhol, Diana Ross and Cher fraternizing with the high society of NY.
The Camp: Notes on Fashion exhibit will run from May 9 through September 8. ' This year's theme is all about exaggeration and being over-the-top.
It's no surprise we're excited to see what Lady Gaga will wear to this year's Met Gala.
"I know some A-listers who regularly attend were unhappy with the looks designers were pitching them", said one fashion insider.
Anyone who is anyone is there, at least according to Wintour's handpicked and closely scrutinized guest list .
Organizers did reveal a smattering of names last month - members of the so-called "host committee" - and so expect to see Jennifer Lopez, Bradley Cooper, Katy Perry and Priyanka Chopra.
The Met Gala 2019 countdown is on and it's time for Queen of Reality Television, Kim K to share a stunning throwback photo.
So what exactly is "camp"?
Rihanna at the Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 7, 2012 in New York City.
'In the end, the objective of camp is to put a smile on our faces and a warm glow in our hearts'.
- Kawhi Leonard's body language after Game 3 loss sparks concern
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy blasts Rep. Jerry Nadler over Barr
- Philadelphia 76ers: What happened to Joel Embiid in Game 4?
- Pressure Grows on Attorney General Barr Over Mueller
- Trump Not Inclined to Let Former Counsel McGahn Testify
- Guardiola can cope with title pressure, says Leicester boss Rodgers
- Trump agrees with Putin on Mueller report
- Robert Mueller reportedly reaches deal to testify before House committee
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza after Israel says soldiers wounded
- Europa League spot is 'right place' for Man United - Solskjaer