As the episode dealt with heartbreaks and farewells, one of the most important was how Jon Snow left his dire wolf Ghost in Winterfell in the hands of Tormund the Giantsbane. "Daenerys had ordered an herbal tea".
Instead, take a walk with me down another path of deep nerdery, to talk about a small fact that makes the cup's unlikely star turn even more unlikely (and yes, perhaps even funnier).
The last two episodes of the eighth and final season premiere on May 12 and 19, respectively.
The distinctive paper cup with plastic cover was spotted on a table at a feast in Winterfell within reach of characters Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen during episode 4 of the final season, The Last of the Starks.
Have a tip for us? Millions of fans are still anxiously awaiting to find out who (if anyone) will end up on the Iron Throne, but some of us will now also be keeping an eye out for loose McDonald's burger wrappers and half-eaten Dairy Queen Blizzards. "Game of Thrones is one of the highest budgeted TV shows and they forgot to remove the freaking coffee cup". The image above shows the scene with the cup still present, while the image below shows the updated scene with it removed. A simple nod and asking Tormund to take Ghost with him sufficed. For a lot of reasons that mainly involve CGI costs and time constraints, we'll probably never see the handsome direwolf on screen again.
We checked the streaming episode of the show on HBO Now Tuesday morning and the cup was indeed gone.
The beverage company is right to be buoyant, with MarketWatch suggesting that they would have had to pay as much as $250,000 (£192,000) to insert the cup if it were a deliberate instance of product placement.
"I can't believe (it)", she said in an interview with New York's WNYC radio on Monday.
- Kyrie mired in career worst 3-game playoff slump
- Newt Gingrich: 'Trump Tax Cuts are Vindicated By the NY Times Story'
- United States increasing pressure on use of oil
- Meghan Markle Welcomes Baby Boy With Prince Harry
- Valencia midfielder Parejo: Emery talk put Miguel to sleep!
- Moura hat-trick flattens Ajax to put Tottenham into Champions League final
- Google Launches $399 Pixel Smartphone with Best in Class Camera
- 3 killed, 18 injured in blast in Pakistan's Lahore
- Did Prince Harry hint at Archie Harrison's name months ago
- US Hikes Tariffs On Chinese Goods, China Says Will Strike Back