Durant, 30, left the Warriors' Game 5 victory Wednesday against the Rockets with what the team described as a right calf strain. If Durant can't play Friday, then at least they're a game up with the homecourt advantage if the series goes to a deciding Game 7.
Durant will not travel with the Warriors to Houston for game six, instead remaining in the San Francisco Bay region for treatment ahead of being re-evaluated next week.
He entered Wednesday night averaging 36 points in the first four games of the series and 35.4 points in this year's postseason.
The Warriors updated Durant's condition during the game and officially stated that he had suffered a right-calf strain and that he would not be returning to game five.
Golden State leads 3-2. Curry had another rough shooting night in Game 5, going 9 for 23 and 3 of 11 on 3s to still finish with 25 points. Each of the first five games of this series have been decided by five points or less. That was, like, the lowest point of the game for me in terms of just searching.
Austin Rivers has been getting more and more minutes as both teams keep going small.
Houston will send this series back to Oakland for Game 7.
The Warriors led by as many as 20 but missed open looks and even layups, clanking shots off the front rim and allowing the tough-minded Rockets to stay close.
"I would say everything's on the table tonight", Kerr said following Friday's shootaround at the Toyota Center.
Though Harden, 29, is in his prime, and finished the regular season with the highest scoring average (36.6) in three decades - the highest of any player in National Basketball Association history besides Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan - he may never have a better opportunity at an National Basketball Association title.
Harden shot 10 for 16 and dished out eight assists. The similarities to last season's seven-game series are there, only with the shoe on the other foot.
But the Rockets wasted an opportunity in Game 5.
The Warriors initially feared the two-time reigning NBA Finals MVP might have injured his Achilles, a far more serious issue. Now Houston has to win 2 back to back games, home and away, but with no KD, it will all come down to whether Klay and Steph keep up the strong performances and if James Harden can stop choking at important moments in the playoffs. Capela had 14 on Wednesday. Tim Hardaway once had nine in 1991.
- Liverpool Knocked Barcelona Out of the Champions League When They Weren't Looking
- Kyrie mired in career worst 3-game playoff slump
- The Next Three Star Wars Films Get Release Dates
- Cyclone Fani death toll rises to 42 in India, Bangladesh - International
- Google Launches $399 Pixel Smartphone with Best in Class Camera
- How to watch Google’s I/O 2019 developer conference
- Raptors win at Philadelphia to even series — Sunday's National Basketball Association roundup
- Hackers steal $40 million of Bitcoin from crypto exchange Binance
- Avengers: Endgame Directors Reveal the Role Katherine Langford Was Supposed to Play
- 3 killed, 18 injured in blast in Pakistan's Lahore