"They complain, they want more money", the president said, referring to Puerto Rico's government. However, recalling the 2018 playoffs, the president's mention of the "arch rival" New York Yankees drew even louder cheers from attendees. "I think it's more of what is going on", the retired slugger said. I'll respect it. I don't think that's a big deal. Cora had considered attending Thursday's White House event to call attention to the plight of those in Puerto Rico, where Hurricane Maria is estimated to have caused almost 3,000 deaths. "Those kids went out there and played their hearts out".
Mr. Werner said the split wouldn't harm team morale, dubbing the White House visit an "apolitical" day.
Pitcher Hector Velazquez, who grew up in Mexico, told Masslive.com that he decided not to go because "the president has said a lot of stuff about Mexico". But at least nine players, as well as the team manager, won't be attending Thursday's event. Here is C-SPAN's video of Werner on Thursday as he recalled Trump's tour of the Lincoln Bedroom. "As such, at this moment, I don't feel comfortable celebrating in the White House".
One player of Cuban descent who attended, J.D. Martinez, told reporters before making the trip that it would be an honour.
Members of the team had just come from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center where they visited with wounded soldiers, the President said.
Some have publicly shared their reasons for declining the invitation, some have not.
Asked earlier about some of the Sox not attending, Trump claimed that Puerto Rico has received adequate storm recovery funding, while citing an inaccurate $91 billion figure. But the Patriots are still working with the White House and still could visit sometime between now and the middle of June.
But a good number of the Boston Red Sox don't plan on attending, and a former player is offering solidarity. I've used my voice on many occasions so that Puerto Ricans are not forgotten and my absence (from the White House) is no different.
"[Thursday] is a celebration of the Red Sox", Cora said Wednesday.
Another pointer: did Trump really attempt to genuinely compare losing that war to dropping a few games throughout the course of a season?
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry reveal first photos of their son
- Paint it black: Android Auto gains dark mode and new UI
- Kyrie Irving played Game 5 as if he had already left Celtics
- White House 'Directed' Ex-Counsel McGahn Not To Comply With Congressional Subpoena
- United States increasing pressure on use of oil
- Kim Kardashian Helps Free Another Inmate Serving Life Sentence
- Liverpool Knocked Barcelona Out of the Champions League When They Weren't Looking
- Kyrie mired in career worst 3-game playoff slump
- North Korea's missile tests not 'breach of trust'
- Max Verstappen on why F1 can never replicate Champions League drama