Here is a roundup of social media reaction to Beilein's hiring.
Woj is reporting that the Cavaliers are giving Beilein a five-year deal. Cleveland is expected to surround Beilein with an experienced staff, and it's possible the team will hire one of the other candidates as an associate head coach. After 12 years at MI, perhaps he thought the time was right to take a stab at the pro game. Under Beilein's tutelage, MI made nine NCAA Tournament appearances, won two Big Ten regular-season titles, including the program's first outright crown in 28 years in 2014, and captured back-to-back Big Ten Tournament titles.
Beilein is hoping this next gig is with the Cavs, who are looking to reinvigorate their franchise after an abysmal first season in the post-LeBron era.
That's why it appears that Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman, assistant general manager Mike Gansey (who played under Beilein at West Virginia, as Wojnarowski noted), and team owner Dan Gilbert (who has admired Beilein for some time), are all-in on Beilein for Cleveland's rebuilding focus. He also served an interim head coach with the Rockets after the firing of Kevin McHale.
Although this will be Beilein's National Basketball Association debut, this isn't the firs time he's contemplated a jump to the professional ranks.
Beilein succeeds Larry Drew in Cleveland. Cleveland's roster should get an upgrade in the draft and the Cavs are hoping for some more luck in Tuesday's lottery, where the victor will have a shot at Duke All-American Zion Williamson.
Despite being the Wolverines' biggest basketball rivals, the Spartans are going to miss what Beilein did for the yearly matchups between the in-state schools. They needed one who could work with young players, develop their games, get them to buy into the team concept and handle the inevitable growing pains.
- Pompeo to stop over in Brussels: EU's top diplomat
- Blazers force Game 7 with 119-108 victory over Nuggets
- Meghan shares new photo of baby Archie to celebrate Mother's Day
- United Kingdom to take part in European Parliament elections
- Hamilton beats Bottas at Spanish GP for 5th Mercedes 1-2
- Blazers' Hood (knee bruise) questionable for G1
- Emilia Clarke 'Game of Thrones' Starbucks React
- Supreme Court Rules Apple Anti-Trust Lawsuits May Move Forward
- At least six killed in Alaska mid-air floatplane crash
- Game of Thrones season 8 Daenerys Targaryen gets killed by Arya Stark?