Wilder will look to defend his world title against fellow American Dominic Breazeale on Sunday (NZ time), and as he did in the lead in to his bout against Tyson Fury, Wilder has sent a warning shot to his opponent. This is a brutal sport. This is a gladiator's sport. "Anybody can go, and in this particular time we have bad blood against each other".
Now, the president of the organisation in which Wilder holds a title, the WBC, has come forth with both a warning and a condemnation of his comments.
"I have seen Deontay Wilder's comments which are regrettable and completely against the spirit of our sport", he tweeted.
"AJ has no reason to come down to me and fight me".
But where this fight could be different is if Wilder goes to those flurries, in which he tends to fire wide, looping punches in an nearly windmill-like fashion, before Breazeale is hurt.
After featuring on the same card in Birmingham, Alabama, Wilder claims that Breazeale made threatening remarks to his brother at a hotel in the city later that night. "There's so many things that I've said and I mean every word".
Of his antagonist's recent comments, Breazeale said Wednesday (via boxingnews24.com), "Wilder has said some insane stuff".
Wilder wanted to ensure Breazeale understood his taunts at their news conference Thursday, having a team member drop an urban dictionary on the table.
Let's say Wilder by TKO in Round 6.
Wilder stressed that Breazeale's life is literally "on the line for this fight" and reiterated his earlier statements by saying that he is still looking to "get a body on record". "As soon as the fence gets opened up, he's like, 'Uhh, damn, what do I do now?'"
"I'm still trying to get me a body on my record... That's like a little chihuahua barking and barking". You have got to have sportsmanship, you have got to be professional in the sport. Since then, he's defended his title successfully eight times, including another win over Stiverne, this time atoning for his non-knockout with a first round KO. The next rounds saw Joshua dominant, but not able to knockout his opponent, while eventually, Breazeale hit back with a couple of punches.
- Rihanna calls out white Alabama lawmakers who banned abortion
- Top Diplomats of US, Russia Discuss N. Korea
- Huawei responds to Trump's national emergency ban on foreign telecoms
- Minecraft Earth, Microsoft's take on Pokemon Go, looks... actually fantastic
- What Is the Meaning of Varys' Rings on Game of Thrones?
- At least six killed in Alaska mid-air floatplane crash
- USA to lift steel tariffs on Canada, Mexico
- Manchester City Facing a Costly UEFA Champions League Ban
- U.S. stock futures point to cautious Tuesday open
- WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning is going back to prison - here's why