Tornadoes touched down Friday in Kansas and rural parts of Nebraska, tearing up trees and powerlines, and damaging some homes and farm buildings, according to the National Weather Service. CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reports school is also cancelled in Moore, Oklahoma, where a deadly tornado in 2013 killed 24 people, including seven children at an elementary school.
Tornado and flood watches were in effect across central Oklahoma.
Forecasters say four tornadoes struck parts of West Texas this weekend, damaging some homes and businesses.
The National Weather Service office in Norman stressed that residents "not let their guard down" on Monday night because severe storms and flooding will still be a problem overnight into Tuesday morning.
The last time the Quad Cities was under a high risk of severe weather was March 12, 2006.
Powerful thunderstorms and tornadoes continue to batter much of central USA this weekend after dozens of tornadoes have been reported in Oklahoma and Texas through Saturday night, according to the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Centre. In addition, numerous storms will have very large hail and wind damage. Several large, violent tornadoes are expected later this afternoon and this evening.
Violent tornadoes account for only about 0.5 percent of all tornadoes but are responsible for about half of all tornado deaths, CNN meteorologist Brandon Miller said. At least 50 tornado reports came in across the central and southern Plains.
In the past three days, 52 tornadoes were reported across seven states, CNN Meteorologist Michael Guy said.
Another in Abilene, Texas, caused "widespread damage", CNN affiliated KTXS reported.
The Storm Prediction Center said that following the tornadoes, there will also be more isolated and potentially unsafe severe weather--including baseball-size hail and flash flooding--in parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Arkansas.
- His Dark Materials season 1 teaser trailer released
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Trump Immigration Plan Favors Job Skills Over Asylum Claims and Family Ties
- Rihanna calls out white Alabama lawmakers who banned abortion
- Call of Duty: Mobile 1.0.1 Beta: Everything You Need to Know
- Wilder death threats overshadow title defense against Breazeale
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Chance for some severe weather Sunday afternoon and evening
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester