United Kingdom largest mobile operator to launch 5G without Huawei amid USA pressure

Friday, 24 May, 2019

EE, a BT-owned mobile carrier, is launching its first 5G network on May 30 and initially had plans to carry the Huawei Mate 20 X and later the Mate X foldable 5G enabled phones.

Arm, which is also owned by Softbank and designs mobile microprocessors that power most of the world's smartphones and tablets, said it "is complying with all of the latest regulations set forth by the USA government".

Trump said the government was banning American companies from using telecom technology and services provided by entities deemed a national security threat, a move apparently targeting Huawei.

Panic set in for millions of users of the Android operating system around the world on Monday morning after news broke that Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc, had suspended business with Huawei.

Huawei has vigorously denied the spying claims, and the Trump Administration allegation that the Chinese government exerts unhealthy influence on Huawei.

A Huawei spokesperson said: "We value our close relationships with our partners, but recognise the pressure some of them are under, as a result of politically motivated decisions". But with Huawei now unable to sell 5G devices on the UK's two biggest carriers, this could be a brilliant growth opportunity for Samsung, LG, and OnePlus, in addition to Oppo, which only recently arrived in the UK.

The financial institution further pointed out that the impact on the global supply chain would be contingent on "the length and severity of restrictions imposed on Huawei". "I don't think anyone is unaware of the risks". The company also has several office locations in the US.

South Korea was not the first country that the United States pressured into abandoning Huawei.

Panasonic supplies electronic components and other smartphone-related products to Huawei.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel reiterated last week that Huawei technology would not be excluded from the competition. "France and Europe are pragmatic and realistic".

Then, last week, the US Commerce Department blacklisted Huawei and 70 affiliates, barring the company from buying parts or components from US companies without US government approval.

"A ban would require operators to replace such equipment before they could deploy 5G technology", he said.

"We will closely monitor relevant developments and prepare necessary responses", he said, without elaborating. But the list of such companies is getting bigger and bigger as we speak.

The issue has proven divisive in Britain.

As a result, future Huawei smartphones will not be installed with the latest version of Android, unless Huawei is given a special licence by the United States government. "The Huawei CEO, on that at least, isn't telling the American people the truth, nor the world", Pompeo said.