"There's areas that truly look like a war zone", Mayor Jeffrey Hazel said Tuesday.
A few tornadoes are possible for the areas around Rockford, Ottowa, Aurora, Joliet and Watseka, the weather service said.
Towns just outside Dayton took some of the heaviest hits.
Some five million people have been left without power due to the tornadoes, which began late on Monday night.
Multiple tornadoes have struck the USA state of OH, causing injuries and extensive damage. Any storms that do develop could be severe with a hail/wind threat. Highs into the low 60s Tuesday, with a few spots struggling to make it out of the upper 50s. The second crossed the highway about three miles away. Another seven people were injured in the storm, three of them seriously, he said.
On Memorial Day you can expect partly cloudy skies with afternoon isolated storm chances.
Structural damage was reported to a house and barn in Laurelville around 1:10 a.m. EDT Tuesday.
Injuries were reported around the cities of Dayton and Celina, but exact numbers were not immediately clear as rescue efforts continued.
Pop-up showers and storms are possible this afternoon and evening.
There were an estimated 52 tornadoes that may have touched down Monday across eight states as waves of severe weather swept across the nation's mid-section.
"We have storms predicted through this week", he says. We are under a slight risk of severe storms for the entire state and there is an enhanced risk of storms for the southwest quadrant of the state today. "There is a possibility of large hail, strong winds, and possibly tornadoes".
Damage strewn across Interstate 75 north of Dayton, Ohio, on Monday night.
"I stood in the middle of the hallway and didn't know if I was going to survive". But he and his wife were not injured and the house is still livable, he said.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Tomori: We'll make Chelsea proud in Championship play-off final
- Red dirt capital offers green experience at French Open
- Young children among victims of mass stabbing in Japan
- OnePlus 7 Pro gets new features via OxygenOS 9.5.4 update
- Losing ODI Series to India at Home Was Turning Point: Khawaja
- Serena Williams survives Vitalia Diatchenko in first round
- American climber dies on descent from summit of Mount Everest
- Jadeja shines as India lose to NZ in practice match