"Every single player in our team is not playing to their full potential and that is why we not putting a performance on".
Du Plessis backed his bowlers to such an extent that when he won the toss he made a decision to bowl first, knowing the risks that entailed as it meant South Africa's batsmen would have to chase on a fourth-innings pitch against Bangladesh's excellent spinners.
He reached a career haul of 250 ODI wickets against South Africa last time out, making him just the fifth player to score 5,000 ODI runs and take 250 wickets, following Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi, Jacques Kallis and Sanath Jayasuriya.
The loss means that the Proteas have now lost both of their opening two matches, having also lost to hosts England in the tournament opener at the same venue.
"If Anrich was here, you could say, 'listen, Dale, it's getting to that time now where you need to play or we need to substitute you.' But now we have got two or three down". Despite a brisk 62 off 53 by captain Faf du Plessis, South Africa failed to chase down another total, finishing on 309 for 8, 21 runs behind Bangladesh. He looks slimmer, nearly like the youngster he was during the 2007 World Cup. "I'm even going to try to make excuses", he said.
He said: "Building up to this World Cup, we knew what challenges we might face". I got a "kick" from somewhere, let's not reveal it.
The top four teams from the new round-robin format qualify for the semifinals and defeat against India on Wednesday could also potentially affect South Africa's net run rate, which will decide the final standings if teams are tied on points and wins.
"Losing early isn't always a bad thing when you are learning and improving", he added.
"We prepared ourselves well".
Bangladesh produced the first major upset of the World Cup when overcoming South Africa in record-breaking style.
"We now have to reshuffle all our cards and look at what can be effective against a strong team in India".
"There's no point in sulking around, we've got to get up and think about where we are going wrong, and put better spells of bowling together, and better batting together".
- Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez agree to partner up on legislation
- Prince Harry Ghosts Donald Trump After He Called Meghan Markle 'Nasty'
- Selection dilemmas face Klopp and Pochettino for final
- Donald Trump has denied calling Meghan Markle 'nasty' despite audio recording
- Is Priyanka Chopra-Jonas Pregnant? Baby-Bump Photos Go Viral
- Apple Plans To End iTunes
- Apple’s Highest-Spec New Mac Pro Estimated to Cost at Least $35K
- Apple’s iOS for iPad might be rebranded iPadOS today
- Apple Is Finally Phasing Out iTunes
- Oppo and Xiaomi showcase prototypes with under the display front camera