Eden Hazard is set to join Real Madrid after the Spanish club agreed a fee in the region of €100m (£88.5m) plus add-ons with Chelsea. The deal includes incentives that could see the value rise up to $165 million.
Hazard confirmed after last month's Europa League final win against Arsenal that he was ready to end his seven-year stay at Stamford Bridge, with the transfer he has long craved now on the brink of being confirmed.
With a single hand-up emoji, a reply from Hazard's former Chelsea teammate and friend, Thibaut Courtois, who signed for Real Madrid a year ago, indicated he did know. After the match, he told reporters that his title-winning performance may have been his last in a Chelsea uniform. This is a move that makes sense for all parties involved.
'When there's talk of Eriksen going for 100mill plus, 88mill for Hazard in todays (sic) market is an absolute bargain, ' one fan said. Real hasn't properly replaced Cristiano Ronaldo after he left for Juventus last summer.
Real Madrid have already announced deals for Eder Militao from FC Porto and Luka Jovic from Eintracht Frankfurt ahead of the upcoming season.
The blow of losing Hazard is expected to be softened by Chelsea agreeing a new five-year contract with Callum Hudson-Odoi, who will take the 28-year-old's place on the left side once he recovers from injury.
The defending European champions burned through three managers during the course of the season and finished with just the Club World Cup crown after losing out to Barcelona in both La Liga and Copa del Rey and an embarrassing Champions League exit at the hands of Ajax.
- Trump wants Brexit to succeed, praises outgoing PM May
- Mexico tariffs draw sharp response from auto industry, business groups
- IPadOS won’t change your mind on the iPad
- French Open 2019: Ashleigh Barty, Madison Keys Through to Quarterfinals
- Huawei ban results in collateral damage for US-China trade negotiations
- Trump blimp flies again as thousands protest United Kingdom visit
- Apple’s Highest-Spec New Mac Pro Estimated to Cost at Least $35K
- The Queen welcomes President Trump to Buckingham Palace
- Indigenous people face race-base genocide in Canada
- Apple unveils $5,999 Mac Pro computer aimed at professionals