Some reports blame the marketing for Dark Phoenix's poor performance.
After almost 20 years and a dozen films, the current manifestation of X-Men movies is going out with a whimper. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the reported production budget of Pets 2 was less than half of that of Dark Phoenix ($80 million compared to $200 million).
Over the weekend, it took a disastrous $33 million (£26m) in the USA, the lowest ever opening for an X-Men film from Fox. Still, Fox-Disney, who produced the film, should be a little bit anxious.
Despite all the other issues with Dark Phoenix, it seems like X-Men fans at least enjoyed finally seeing Dazzler on the big screen.
What do you make of this situation? The problem for Dark Phoenix, which now sits on just 23% on Rotten Tomatoes and is headed towards a deeply uninspiring box office return. Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
The full weekend numbers and global total don't make for much kinder reading, either - as of Sunday night, Dark Phoenix is estimated to have taken in $33 million at home and $107 million elsewhere for a grand total of $140 million worldwide.
She actually has been involved with the X-Men since the 2000 Bryan Singer movie and it is known Marvel Studios Kevin Feige used to work under her back in the day and that the two are friends. Plus, given how many superhero movies in recent years have been successful outside of the summer movie season, there was a feeling that Dark Phoenix could join that group. The problem, according to one of these insiders, was that Dark Phoenix wasn't created to be a summer movie. Fearing that its finale was too focused on Jean Grey, the final act was completely reshot to include more characters. Nevertheless, considering the negative reviews and the fact that the X-Men series is eventually expected to be rolled into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this is nearly certainly the last movie featuring the current cast. James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence return as Professor Charles Xavier and Raven.
- Portugal beat Netherlands to win inaugural Nations League
- House chairman says he'd try to block tariffs
- Xbox E3 2019’s Highlights and Lowlights | Microsoft’s best and worst moments
- 'Straight Pride' Parade Idea Not Going Over Well
- French Open 2019: Highlights - Ash Barty ends Amanda Anisimova run - Roland-Garros
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk officially break up
- To Try Google Stadia at Launch, You'll Need to Fork Over $129
- French Open 2019: Johanna Konta has 'no regrets' after semi-final defeat
- Third US tourist died at same hotel in Dominican Republic
- Pres. Trump thanks Mexican president, govt for agreement on immigration