Mr. Morsi was overthrown following mass protests a year after he took office as the country's first democratically elected leader.
The 67-year-old former president was elected on the platform of the now outlawed Muslim Brotherhood after the Arab Upspring uprising that terminated the thirty-year rule of Hosni Mubarak. Multiple cases are still pending. "He insisted on a special tribunal as he is the president of the republic", Madour said.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a strong ally of the Islamist president during his brief tenure as Egypt's leader, paid tribute to Morsi and called him a "martyr".
It said Mursi had fainted after a court session and died afterwards.
Haddad's son Abdullah told MEE he fears his father and brother Gehad, who is also imprisoned, will share Morsi's fate.
Born in 1951, Morsi studied engineering at Cairo University and moved to the U.S. in the 70s to finish his PhD.
The military, led by then-Defense Minister Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, ousted Morsi after massive protests against the Brotherhood's domination of power.
Egypt's ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi, wearing a red uniform, gestures from behind the bars during his trial in Cairo at the police academy in Cairo on April 23, 2016.
No one can hear him or know what is happening to him.
Morsi had asked to talk and the judge gave him the permission, as reported by Extra News. "The reflection of my image makes me dizzy".
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Google leaks the Pixel 4, it’s the real thing
- India and Pakistan's one-sided World Cup history
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Los Angeles Lakers trade multiple picks, players for Anthony Davis
- HEADING TO WAR? American/Iran Tensions Heighten As Ship TORPEDOED
- Gulf of Oman attacks: Japanese company and U.S. provide new evidence
- Coutinho: I don't have much to say to Barcelona fans
- Hong Kong media say controversial extradition bill may be suspended
- Office of Special Counsel Recommends Kellyanne Conway's Firing