Williamson also enjoyed moments of fortune - South Africa not detecting his under-edge and then failing to run him out as Miller made a mess of gathering at the non-striker's end as the throw came in from midwicket.
Just three runs from this over. South Africa had assessed it as a 250-260 surface; New Zealand were polished and used the conditions effectively with cross-seamers and changes of pace.
Skipper Kane Williamson scored a superb 106 not out, and he had an ideal lieutenant in Colin de Grandhomme, who pulled off some stunning shots in a whirlwind 60 off 47 balls. The only criticism could be that he and David Miller should have started chasing boundaries a lot of earlier than they did.
New Zealand have always depended on team strength to eke out wins, particularly in ICC tournaments. South Africa desperately need a wicket here. Such has been the dominance of New Zealand's bowling that the batsmen haven't had much work to do so far. However, he was well-played by Kane Williamson, and then lacked a bit of luck in his second spell.
Martin Guptill trod on his stumps to spark a mini New Zealand collapse as South Africa battled to keep their World Cup bid alive at Edgbaston on Wednesday. At Edgbaston, of all places. NZ won five and South Africa won two matches. A hard match was lined up for them against India on Thursday at Trent Bridge but the match was abandoned due to rain. The Proteas are now placed on the eighth position with three points from five matches.
"It's been tough. Injuries are never nice, but with the support staff that I've had around me it's been pretty good and I've been alright", Ngidi was quoted as saying by the official website of the Cricket World Cup. The Kiwis lead the head to head in World Cup matches against South Africa with five matches.
Barring some sort of miracle, the South Africans were knocked out of the Cricket World Cup after another below-par batting performance saw them reach just 241/6 in their reduced 49 overs due to an earlier rain delay.
If South Africa lose this match, their chances of making it to semifinals will be over.
After Wednesday's game, they will face Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia.
- President Trump Orlando rally
- Hong Kong police clear streets as protesters move to park
- Iran says it will break uranium stockpile limit in 10 days
- Russian Federation says findings of MH17 crash investigation are groundless
- U.S. businesses oppose tariff hikes, stress China's irreplaceable role in supply chain
- Ousted Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dead, state TV reports
- USA actions threaten West Asia’s stability: Iranian President Rouhani
- Pixel, iPhone to have camera ‘bulge’ in new devices
- Mitch McConnell Says Slavery Reparations Aren't a Good Idea
- Thousands in Istanbul Pray for Ex-Egyptian President Morsi