Salvaging at least some pride after the battering, Afghanistan batted out their 50 overs, finishing at 247 for eight.
33 - A total of 33 sixes were hit during this game by both sides; the most in a World Cup match.
With this win, England moved a step closer to the semi-final qualification with four wins from five matches while Afghanistan are out of the competition having lost all five games.
"There are many guys in the dressing room and who can produce an innings like that - but to match up to the youngsters is awesome", said Morgan after England's 150-run win over Afghanistan.
"It was hard at times because I didn't feel the Afghanistan batsmen were coming at us and we had to try to mix it up, get them to play a few shots". India's Rohit Sharma, South Africa's AB de Villiers and West Indies' Chris Gayle had previously struck 16 sixes each in their respective ODI innings. The fastest was hit by Kevin O'Brien against England in 2011.
Root was also excellent, passing 50 for the fifth time in six ODIs as he helped Morgan put on 189 for the fourth wicket, before his dismissal, chipping Gulbadin to long-on, saw England lose 4-25 - Morgan clothing Gulbadin to long-off and Buttler (2) and Ben Stokes (2) falling cheaply. Morgan's haul was one short of the entire England team's tally for sixes in 2015. It was also the joint second-worst in ODI history.
Bairstow was more forceful, rocking onto the back foot to heave Rashid Khan for the first of 11 sixes against and drilling Mohammad Nabi flat down the ground for another. "If that's what the captain wants, you listen to orders", the 29-year-old Durham quick added.
During the course of his 71-ball innings, Morgan went past 200 sixes in ODIs and raced away to his 13th ODI hundred and his first in a World Cup.
Eoin Morgan has now gone past MS Dhoni's (126) record of hitting most sixes as a captain in ODIs.
Rashid was the unlucky bowler and quickly paid the price, Morgan heaving two of his next four balls for six. The spell from the spinner is the most expensive ever in the history of ICC World Cup.
But the expected collapse never came despite further wickets for Mark Wood, who had Gulbadin caught behind, and Adil Rashid, removing Rahmat for 46.
- Trump campaign manager calls polling "the biggest joke in politics"
- Thousands in Istanbul Pray for Ex-Egyptian President Morsi
- Artist and fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt dies aged 95
- ‘Chilling’ dressing room vibe helped Shakib & team chase total against Windies
- Gunfire breaks out in Toronto Injuring 4 Individuals
- New Zealand vs South Africa
- You can download Harry Potter: Wizards Unite a day early
- Trump begins '20 re-election bid, raises $24.8m on day one
- 'Credible Evidence': U.N. Points to Saudi Prince Role in Khashoggi Murder
- Donald Trump vows to begin deporting 'millions' from next week