Pakistan's three-wicket win moves them up to fourth, one point ahead of England.
Root also said that England have not adapted to the slow pitches at the tournament, having played on batsman-friendly surfaces at the same grounds during one-day global bilateral series played in the buildup to the World Cup.
The 26-year old Rajitha has five wickets in his six ODI appearances.
After sealing their last match with a comfortable six-wicket win against Black Caps, Pakistan improved better in points table of 2019 World Cup.
The Australians have won their last four games from batting first. Their bowling has looked ok with all their spinners performing. New Zealand remain on 11 and theoretically, one of Pakistan or Bangladesh can equal them on points.
The situation is fast turning dire for Morgan's men and they will be hoping explosive opener Jason Roy is declared fit in time for Sunday's clash.
Instead, Finch and his strike bowlers are going all out in a repeat of the 2015 World Cup final, knowing just how vital it is to get another win under the belts as knockout cricket rapidly approaching.
Pakistan overcame a stiff and spirited challenge from Afghanistan and escaped with a three-wicket win with two balls to spare at Leeds.
However, to the Englishman's surprise, Pakistani Twitterati's prompt reply was it's better to support their neighbour (India) than the United Kingdom and the "East India Company" pointing towards the British colonial rule over India.
Pakistan fans run onto the field to celebrate their victory over Afghanistan.
The straightforward way to reach the semi-finals will be to beat India and New Zealand - teams they have not defeated at the World Cup since 1992 - while even one loss would put them at the mercy of other results. His lone century against Australia came when they last met, at the Champions Trophy in 2017, a contest that was washed out.
Finch and David Warner have been the dominant opening duo of this tournament and are on track to become the greatest ever pair at the top in a World Cup.
It was the first hat-trick by a New Zealander at a World Cup and the second of the tournament after India's Mohammed Shami achieved the feat against Afghanistan.
- British PM May confronts Putin over Skripal poisoning in tense G20 meeting
- Hamilton wins French GP in Mercedes one-two
- Tom Holland Almost Had an 'Into The Spider-Verse' Cameo
- Frustrated Kamala Harris: Americans Want Food, Not Food Fights
- England's Houghton and Bright injury doubts for Norway clash
- Pelosi Becomes Visibly Emotional Over Drowned Father and Daughter
- Lakers trade Wagner, others to Wizards; create max salary slot
- Nike reveals Orange coloured "Away Kit" for India
- Kevin Durant opting out as free agency sweepstakes begin
- You can now install iOS 13 on your iPhone