Clear parliament or expect 'appropriate force', Hong Kong police warn protesters

Tuesday, 02 Jul, 2019

City leader Carrie Lam said a series of protests that have attracted hundreds of thousands of students and other participants have taught her that she needs to listen better to the youth and people in general.

Protesters in Hong Kong pushed barriers and dumpsters into the streets early this morning in an apparent bid to block access to a symbolically important ceremony marking the anniversary of the return of the former British colony to China. "The police will take appropriate enforcement action to protect public order and safety", the government said. But we're forced to do so.

"How can we have three large protests in just a month?"

Protesters in Hong Kong have breached the city's parliament building after violent clashes with police. Several people wearing helmets and protective vests, including numerous journalists, entered through the broken panels.

Police in riot gear stand in loose formation about 20 metres down the road from protesters.

The latest reports say that protestors have dispersed and police are in complete control of the legislative complex.

"Large numbers of people are expected to participate in the annual march on 1 July, starting in Victoria Park at 2.30pm".

Thousands of protesters hit the streets for the latest in a string of huge protests, almost all of them wearing black clothes.

But rallies are on seeking the ouster of Chief Executive Carrie Lam, who is believed to be the main supporter of the bill.

Thousands of protesters began arriving down after a slow march through Causeway Bay. She gave a speech that struck a conciliatory tone.

Pauline Wong, a 49-year-old NGO worker, marched with her husband.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

Protesters stormed into the government headquarters in Hong Kong.

"Knowing when and where to stop is a skill and quality that Hong Kong's activists must master, if they want to advance their cause", he said. Police wanted the march to end earlier in the Wan Chai district, but organizers said that would leave out many people who planned to join the march along the way.

Protesters had for hours been repeatedly striking reinforced glass walls with a metal trolley and poles as hundreds of others watched on. An unnamed police spokesman spoke in the video, saying that officers were to shortly arrive at the scene and start "clearing the field". "Resistance is not a matter of a day or a week, it is long term". In Beijing, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters at a daily briefing that "Hong Kong affairs are purely China's internal affairs, and no foreign country has the right to intervene".

Police said 13 officers were also sent to hospital after being doused by an "unknown liquid" from protesters while the government released a statement condemning protesters for using "extreme violence".

Tensions spiralled on June 12 when police fired rubber bullets and tear gas at anti-extradition protesters near the heart of the financial centre, sending plumes of smoke billowing among some of the world's tallest skyscrapers.

The failure of those protests to wrestle concessions on democracy, coupled with prosecutions of at least 100 protesters, a lot of them young, had discouraged many activists from going back to the streets - until recent weeks. It said at least 374,000 was marching through the Arsenal Street during the peak.