However, Federer had the finish line in sight and wrapped up a 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-2 victory.
The eight-times champion had a set taken off him in his first-round match at Wimbledon for only the second time in 17 years.
"We're all going to die one day, I just want to make the most of it".
"I think, for me, it's a little bit irrelevant", she said after the 6-4 6-2 win.
"I'll go out there and I'll just play my game". In fact Federer is the most succesful active player on grass with 181 careers win on the surface against 21 losses.
Kyrgios, meanwhile, recently described the world number two as "salty".
The fifth seed joins sixth seed Alexander Zverev of Germany and seventh seed Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece in suffering elimination.
Women's tennis world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty and defending champion Angelique Kerber eased into the second round of Wimbledon on Tuesday (July 2).
The 8th seed Kei Nishikori defeated a qualifier Thiago Monteiro 6-4, 7-6, 6-4 in two hours and ten minutes, facing only one break point and stealing the rival's serve three times to prevail in straight sets.
The seven-time champion at the All England Club beat Giulia Gatto-Monticone of Italy 6-2, 7-5.
Williams has won 23 slam singles titles and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in history, while Murray became the first British man in 77 years to win Wimbledon when he claimed his first title at SW19 in 2013.
After losing the first set, Clarke looked like he might have blown his chance in the second when Rubin fought back from 5-1 down to level.
For Barty, it was a 13th consecutive victory, continuing the momentum garnered by opening her grand slam account in Paris and winning in Birmingham on grass - her favorite surface - last month. I've seen him play a lot.
A stunning cross-court forehand victor stopped Federer getting back on serve and the 37-year-old found himself a set down when his backhand flew beyond the baseline.
- White House demands zero enrichment for Iran after cap broken
- US Democratic frontrunner Biden drops in polls after debate
- Kyrie Irving planning to work toward deal with Nets
- Kamala Harris Confronts Joe Biden During Democratic Debate for Working With Segregationists
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Hang Out With Yankees in London
- Clashes break out between Afghan and Pakistani fans inside stadium, two evicted
- Pyongyang: Trump's invitation 'interesting' but no official request
- Surprise Trump-Kim Meeting Aims to Restart Stalled Nuclear Talks
- U.S. beat France to book England semi-final
- ‘Strong Indications’ Kawhi Leonard Wants To Team Up With This Star