The early departures of 2017 Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza and world No.22 Donna Vekic have left the 23-year-old with a seed-free passage through to at least the second week.
Tomic reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals is 2011.
All of that and more - much, much more - was on display at Centre Court on Thursday, when Nadal emerged from the tumult to beat Kyrgios 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3) in a second-round Wimbledon match boasting all manner of dramatics, doses of animosity and delightful play.
Barty is coming off titles at the French Open and the Birmingham grass-court tuneup tournament.
His complaining eventually earned him a code violation.
Unseeded Alison Riske faces Serbia's Ivana Jorovic on Court 16. "I just don't know him very well", Kyrgios said of his second-round opponent at Wimbledon.
Rafael Nadal was up near the Centre Court net when Nick Kyrgios smacked a booming forehand directly at the guy's midsection - right at him, on objective - and earned a lengthy staredown in return.
"The tank is full. There's plenty more tennis to be played in this tournament, so I won't be resting on that win". Never facing a break point, the Chinese was the dominant figure on the return as well, delivering five breaks against the rival who sprayed 30 unforced errors, staying in front all the time to hit the third round for the first time here.
Last year's beaten finalist Kevin Anderson, the South African fourth seed, also progressed with a 6-4, 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 6-4 victory over Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia.
The victor of her past 18 sets stretching back to the French Open semi-finals, Barty has earned herself a massive opportunity to embark on another deep grand slam run. "I was a bit nervous and I slid and hurt my foot in the first set". It was insane I was jet skiing and partying and won a tournament.
The 37-year-old American - bidding to join Margaret Court with a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title - struggled to impose herself on an opponent ranked 133 in the world. "It was incredible", she said. Wang is playing at the top of her game, finding an ever-increasing sense of self-belief.
Meanwhile, if the pressure is getting to top-seeded Ashleigh Barty, she is doing a great job of hiding it. The secret to her run of form? "I couldn't really tell if it was Centre Court or Court 1, actually".
- Strong quake shakes Southern California; no immediate reports of damage
- Trump promises tanks, 'biggest ever fireworks' on July 4
- Wimbledon ATP Betting Preview: Can Anybody Upend Djokovic, Federer and Nadal?
- The US will resume delivery of American technology products Huawei
- One killed in Italian volcano eruption
- Qualifying Scenarios for Pakistan at ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
- Nike Pulls Independence Day Air Max 1 After Colin Kaepernick Intervention
- New 2020 Democratic poll reveals Harris and Warren tied for third place
- Kate Middleton Surprises Fans By Mingling Outside Royal Box At Wimbledon
- 10 killed when plane crashes into hangar at Addison Airport, officials say