On Wednesday, the dramatic plumes of ash were seen emerging from the island like a "mushroom cloud". "There was a loud roar", said Michela Favorito, who works in a hotel near Ficogrande, on the east side of the island.
When asked whether he was concerned for his safety at all, he said: "It did cross our minds because there was such an enormous ash cloud".
Emergency worker Calogero Foti told Italy's Rai television: "Unfortunately one man is dead, there are a few injured, but none seriously".
70 people including holidaymakers have been evacuated from the island, according to the BBC, but it is possible that the volcano could spread this disruption further. We saw a big cloud rising up in the sky and immediately understood it was an eruption from Stromboli.
Fiona Carter, a British tourist on the island of Panarea, 17 miles (27km) from Stromboli, heard the blast. The volcano is nicknamed the Lighthouse of the Mediterranean.
Firefighters were inspecting buildings in Ginostra for damage, as people began returning to their often ash-covered homes.
Stromboli, which is north of Sicily and west of the mainland situation of Calabria, is a standard summer destination as portion of the Aeolian Islands and is stuffed with tourists at this time of yr.
Stromboli's population is around 500 and its economy is based nearly entirely on tourism. And July is peak season for travellers heading to the Mediterranean. Stromboli is one of the most active volcanoes on the planet, according to Geology.com, and has nearly been erupting continuously since 1932. The island was closed to visitors for more than a month following the explosion.
Stromboli erupts in August 2014.
Smoke billows from the volcano on the Italian island of Stromboli, background, following an eruption Wednesday, July 3, 2019. Mount Etna on Sicily and Stromboli continue to be active.
The national fire division modified into dispatched to attend carry stranded hikers down.
- Strong quake shakes Southern California; no immediate reports of damage
- Qualifying Scenarios for Pakistan at ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
- Nike Pulls Independence Day Air Max 1 After Colin Kaepernick Intervention
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- After a day of violent protests, Hong Kong makes arrests
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Egypt, Arab states not to see total solar eclipse Tuesday
- US Democratic frontrunner Biden drops in polls after debate
- Facebook, WhatsApp down globally including in India
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War