The wait is finally over, Disney has found their Ariel for the studios upcoming live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid. Bailey had reportedly been at the top of Marshall's list of contenders "from the beginning", and her casting was made official after the director had his fill of meeting with talent.
Bailey, 19, now stars with her sister Chloe, 21, on the Freeform series "Grown-ish".
Fans were delighted by the news, with one writing: "This casting took me from default-excited to CRAZY-EXCITED".
Production for the Little Mermaid is anticipated to begin in early 2020.
It will also feature songs from the original score by Alan Menken, as well as some new material from Menken and Miranda. While the entire cast hasn't been finalized, comedians and actors Awkafina and Melissa McCarthy are in talks to play roles. Marshall also directed the 2018 sequel Mary Poppins Returns.
Bailey, 19, will make her film debut with the role.
Two weeks (and change) out from the long-anticipated arrival of The Lion King, and the Powers That Be have officially cast singer-actress Halle Bailey as Ariel, the rebellious daughter of King Triton who longs to live on dry land.
A year ago was a big one for the sisters: in addition to releasing their first album, "The Kids Are Alright", they were nominated for two Grammy Awards and went on tour with Beyoncé's and Jay-Z.
- Ferrari insist stewards are wrong to uphold Max Verstappen's victory
- Kate Middleton Surprises Fans By Mingling Outside Royal Box At Wimbledon
- Facebook, WhatsApp down globally including in India
- Chelsea announces Frank Lampard as new manager
- Facebook, Instagram Go Down and People Notice AI-Generated Captions
- Search on for Brazilian toddler who fell into Rio Grande
- Russian Navy submarine 'explodes' - 14 crew killed by burns
- Libya migrant camp attack leaves at least 120 killed or wounded
- Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan visits the Maiden yacht
- Guadalajara, Mexico struck by rare massive hail storm