The wait is finally over, Disney has found their Ariel for the studios upcoming live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid. Bailey had reportedly been at the top of Marshall's list of contenders "from the beginning", and her casting was made official after the director had his fill of meeting with talent.
Bailey, 19, now stars with her sister Chloe, 21, on the Freeform series "Grown-ish".
Fans were delighted by the news, with one writing: "This casting took me from default-excited to CRAZY-EXCITED".
Production for the Little Mermaid is anticipated to begin in early 2020.
It will also feature songs from the original score by Alan Menken, as well as some new material from Menken and Miranda. While the entire cast hasn't been finalized, comedians and actors Awkafina and Melissa McCarthy are in talks to play roles. Marshall also directed the 2018 sequel Mary Poppins Returns.
Bailey, 19, will make her film debut with the role.
Two weeks (and change) out from the long-anticipated arrival of The Lion King, and the Powers That Be have officially cast singer-actress Halle Bailey as Ariel, the rebellious daughter of King Triton who longs to live on dry land.
A year ago was a big one for the sisters: in addition to releasing their first album, "The Kids Are Alright", they were nominated for two Grammy Awards and went on tour with Beyoncé's and Jay-Z.
- Egypt, Arab states not to see total solar eclipse Tuesday
- Facebook, WhatsApp down globally including in India
- Storms and heat for the 4th of July weekend
- Wimbledon ATP Betting Preview: Can Anybody Upend Djokovic, Federer and Nadal?
- New 2020 Democratic poll reveals Harris and Warren tied for third place
- Facebook, Instagram Go Down and People Notice AI-Generated Captions
- Dems to propose changes to Senate border bill
- Pellegrini Content with von der Leyen as European Commission Head
- Meghan Markle Cheers on Serena in Her First Post-Baby Solo Outing
- Russian Navy submarine 'explodes' - 14 crew killed by burns