Recently the reinstatement of a player who had been banned following sexual harassment charges had provoked further widespread criticism of the Egyptian FA on social media.
Many Egyptians feel that the current team is a shadow of the side which won three successive tournaments between 2006 and 2010.
Egypt now follows fellow North Africans Morocco who went out in the hands of underdogs Benin after a Hakim Ziyech penalty miss which was followed by a shootout loss.
The 1996 champions qualified as one of the four best third-placed teams which advanced to the round of 16 while The Pharaohs eased through their group with a 100% record.
However, their group stage campaign was hugely unimpressive - winning just once in a narrow 1-0 victory over Namibia.
Nigeria ousted the holders and their bitter rivals Cameroon from the Africa Cup of Nations, scoring twice in three minutes to come from behind and win a thrilling last-16 match 3-2 on Saturday. We have nothing to lose and playing these kinds of big matches should be motivation enough for the boys.
Abo Rida also announced his own resignation, less than three hours after theAFCON game as a stunned host nation digested the defeat.
"We say sometimes that African players can not be tactically smart, that northern Africans are usually so much better than the southern Africans, but I think the players they showed a masterclass". If we can do that and the crowd become a little bit impatient, the players will feel that on the field.
The Mexican believes the pressure being put on the hosts to win the tournament for an eighth time is huge.
They now face Nigeria in the last eight after the Super Eagles defeated defending champions Cameroon to book a date in the AFCON quarters.
- Coco Gauff Reaches Fourth Round Of Wimbledon At Just 15 Years Old
- Chelsea announces Frank Lampard as new manager
- Tonight's 'Love Island' will be a heartbreaking watch
- Storms and heat for the 4th of July weekend
- Sweden pounces on sloppy England to clinch third place at World Cup
- Facebook, Instagram Go Down and People Notice AI-Generated Captions
- Dutch beat Swedes to set up Women's World Cup final with USA
- Pakistan officially out of semi-final contention
- Brazil Get Its Final and Messi Will Never Win With Argentina
- Gayle saunters off World Cup stage as West Indies look to future