While the 1998 film featured the voice of comedian Eddie Murphy as Mushu the dragon guardian, there were reports the character won't appear in the film. Then, Mulan says, "Yes, I will bring honor to us all". Based on the Chinese legends that led to 1999's animated Mulan, the live-action adaptation stars Yifei Liu in the titular role. To this day, my Mulan sword, Mushu soft toy and Mulan dolls are somewhere safe in storage at home in Hong Kong.
And people are anxious there will not be a Shang-at least, the teaser trailer isn't showing any Shang signs. Reimagining Mulan in a way more suited to its folkloric roots is fitting, and still offers plenty of opportunity for invention (the action in the teaser looks sharp, and we're introduced to a distinctive warrior-red color palette). Despite her parents wanting her to marry whoever the Matchmaker provides for her, Mulan runs away from home and poses as a man, Hua Jun, in the army. To defend the country from Northern invaders, she masquerades as a man and is tested physically and mentally in her journey to embrace her potential and make her family proud. Most notably, Mulan's love interest from the original film, Li Shang, is subbed out for a new character and love interest, Chen Honghui.
Mulan is directed by Niki Caro (Whale Rider, McFarland USA) from a screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Jurassic World, In the Heart of the Sea) and Elizabeth Martin & Lauren Hynek based on the narrative poem "The Ballad of Mulan".
But despite all that, for some, there's something important missing from the original animated movie, released back in 1998. In its place is a martial arts epic in the grandest tradition of the genre that tells the legendary tale of Hua Mulan in a completely new way.
- USA's Megan Rapinoe says Fifa showing women's football 'lack of respect'
- Roger Federer Rates Prince George's Tennis Skills After Practicing Together
- Former Warriors DeMarcus Cousins, Quinn Cook Will Sign With Lakers
- Afghan auto bomb kills 12 and wounds dozens, including students
- South Africa stuns Salah and Egypt at African Cup
- Iran further reduces commitment to 2015 nuclear deal
- ‘Multiple’ injuries in gas explosion at USA mall, says Fire Department
- Who is Team India’s Semi-Final Opponent?
- Saudi airline 'flyadeal' to operate all Airbus fleet in the future
- Sweden pounces on sloppy England to clinch third place at World Cup