Although Netflix rarely publishes viewership figures, it reportedly paid $100 million to extend streaming rights by just one year for the New York-based sitcom starring Jennifer Aniston in 2018.
When Comcast gave full operational control of Hulu to Disney (NYSE: DIS) earlier this year, that agreement also gave NBCUniversal the option to terminate many of its content license agreements with Hulu in three years while retaining the right to stream certain content on its own service in a year.
The streaming service - which the company did not announce a price for - will offer the "best-of-the-best" from all of WarnerMedia's brands, the media giant said. These include the new DC Entertainment series "Batwoman", and "Katy Keene", which is a spinoff of "Riverdale".
WarnerMedia Chief Executive Officer John Stankey has said HBO Max will build on HBO, which has 35 million customers in the U.S. The network has a library that includes "The Sopranos", "Sex and the City" and "Game of Thrones".
Under new arrangements with Warner Bros.
"Greg Berlanti, who was locked up recently in a rich Warner Bros. deal, is also going to be supplying four new movies for the service, and Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine Hello Sunshine will produce at least two films for HBO Max".
For the full list of Max Original series, check out the official press release from Warner Media, which lists some more pretty big names like Julian Fellowes, J.J. Abrams, Mark Ruffalo and Winona Ryder.
HBO Max will debut with some 10,000 hours of "premium content", according to the WarnerMedia statement.
The new streaming service will bring together HBO and other Warner Bros. film and TV properties, including New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, TruTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, and more.
Given the contract for Friends gets renewed every January 1st we'll see the show removed on January 1st, 2020. Nicely, it seems they actually meant one other 12 months as they've now introduced that the basic present will go away Netflix USA initially of 2020 and transfer over to Warner's upcoming streaming service. Thanks for the reminiscences, gang ☕. The streaming service will also include brand-new shows, called "Max Originals", and movies.
- U.S. Seeks to Hold Jeffrey Epstein Without Bail
- United States court rules it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL for Trump to block trolls on Twitter
- Wimbledon: Barty, Serena progress to round four
- Afghan auto bomb kills 12 and wounds dozens, including students
- Arturo Vidal defends Lionel Messi and slams CONMEBOL
- Brazil Get Its Final and Messi Will Never Win With Argentina
- Know what will happen if India vs New Zealand match gets abandoned
- Man City sign Spain global Rodri for club record fee
- South Africa stuns Salah and Egypt at African Cup
- US adds solid 224000 jobs, making Fed rate cut less certain