Despite Guerrero Jr. being a rookie, his impressive ability to easily crush the ball along with his slight height and weight advantage, gave the impression that Pederson was the underdog.
The rookie received a $1 million prize for winning the competition, but the selfless first baseman isn't keeping all of that green.
Fans took to Twitter throughout the night to share their thoughts about the youngest player ever to compete in the Home Run Derby, starting with immediate reaction to his record-breaking first-round.
So while he didn't win, I think Acuna proudly represented Atlanta Braves country and showed the world how good he is ... if they didn't already know? He said he would donate 10% of his winnings between two charities, the Wounded Warriors Project and the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr., right, of theToronto Blue Jays, is congratulated by Joc Pederson, of the Los Angeles Dodgers, during the Major League Baseball Home Run Derby, Monday, July 8, 2019, in Cleveland. Guerrero Jr. smashed 29 home runs in his first at-bat, setting a first-round record in the process.
"I'm really happy that I didn't have to swing a lot going into the extra rounds", Alonso said. The contest moved to a three-swing format for each slugger as Guerrero hit a homer with one out of his three cuts.
Therefore, both players entered a swing off where both players get three swings.
Guerrero Jr. led off the championship round with 22 homers, bringing his 2019 Home Run Derby total to 91 homers, a record. The tie breaker, a no-rest, 1 minute round, resulted in a more rested Guerrero Jr. adding 8 more home runs to his total.
Pederson opened the event with an impressive 21 homers to beat Houston's Alex Bregman (16).
After Acuna posted 19 dangers, averaging 418 per blast, Alonso stepped in knowing exactly how many he needed to hit. That netted him a $100,000 bonus to go with his $500,000 for finishing second, which more than equals his season's salary of $468,468. In the ultimate showdown, Guerrero clouted a pair of homers in his three swings, while Pederson managed just one.
- United States court rules it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL for Trump to block trolls on Twitter
- Know what will happen if India vs New Zealand match gets abandoned
- Man City sign Spain global Rodri for club record fee
- Afghan auto bomb kills 12 and wounds dozens, including students
- Russell Westbrook Trade Talks Ramp Up After Paul George Deal
- Saudi airline 'flyadeal' to operate all Airbus fleet in the future
- Economy Would Be 'Rocket Ship' If Fed Cut Rates
- Bengaluru: Congress and JD(S) try to pacify rebels to save government
- ‘Multiple’ injuries in gas explosion at USA mall, says Fire Department
- US adds solid 224000 jobs, making Fed rate cut less certain